How a Low-Carb Diet Might Help You Maintain a Healthy Weight

(Nicole) #7

More on it.

And then there is Kevin Hall’s critique and Freedhoff’s response to that:

(Bunny) #8

Skimming through these articles and no mention on the importance of fat intake, all about low carb?

I could see a possible future headline on this one!

“Low carb diet causes cardiovascular disease?”

If people get the idea they don’t need any fat?

Ludwig may be doing more harm than good with this type of short-term research?

(Janet) #9

The fat content of the low carb arm is clearly stated to be at 60%, with protein fixed at 20% in all arms. Anahad O’Connor has been writing articles positive to low carb for a while, but he always balances them with “experts” who hate them. Today show found a one that made it clear this is high fat diet. :grin: “The low carbohydrate diet contained a horrendous amount of saturated fat… which would increase blood cholesterol levels and risk of heart disease,” said Tom Sanders, professor emeritus of nutrition and dietetics at King’s College London.

The Telegraph:

The Times:

Today (they spell it out :wink:

(Keto Travels) #10

Nope no weight gain. I can manage to give myself a pretty serious tummy ache with buttered brokkoli or cauliflower mash though … VERY hard to stop! If it wasn’t for the fact that I also want the steak to fit that is :sunglasses:

(Janet) #11

Many more articles this morning in US, WebMD, MedPage, Chicago Trib. ‘All calories are not alike’: Cutting carbs instead of calories keeps weight off, study says

https://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/ct-life-low-carb-burns-calories-11312018-story.html

(Bob M) #12

It’s about freaking time someone admits that not all calories are alike.

(Bob M) #13

Here’s some additional critique of Kevin Hall’s potential biases:

https://proteinpower.com/drmike/2017/08/20/kevin-hall-kickstarter-and-catching-up/

https://proteinpower.com/drmike/2016/05/06/contradictions-and-cognitive-dissonance-the-kevin-hall-effect/

(Janet) #14

Not goin’ to be Kevin Hall :wink: and a whole long list of others whose career is staked on calorie counting. Can’t wait for more rebuttals.

(Bunny) #15

That’s what has me worried? Ludwig does not explain the WHY about dietary fat intake?

1. Hyper-responders; genetic polymorphisms & SNP testing?

2. Why are we eating more FAT and why is it vitally important HMG-CoA reductase?

3. What causes CVD & CHD risk etc…

(GINA ) #16

I bet Mike Eades (of Protein Power) is happy. He has been saying since the 90s that a low carb diet has a ‘caloric advantage’ that he thought was probably 200-300 calories. Looks like he was right.

(Jane) #17

Not I. I’ve never over-eaten vegetables no matter how they are prepared. My satiety signal works just fine for protein and veggies.

It never worked on carbs and I haven’t had more than a small portion-controlled serving at one time since going keto to test it. I suspect not - I could eat way more carbs than my body needs and would not get the signal to stop.

(John) #18

Not that I know of. Sure makes broccoli or squash taste like a heavenly treat versus something you have to eat because it’s healthy for you. Almost like your body WANTS you to add a little flavorful fat to those veggies.

This concept is also why I don’t worry about counting cups of salad greens. I have no fear of stopping lipolysis by eating too much lettuce.

(Bunny) #19

No more fake research funding from the big sugar, grain and processed food industries?

They are going to try and prove us low carbing fat eaters wrong by whatever means necessary because we won’t be buying their products?

(Ken) #20

All this is bouncing around the actual mechanisms of Lipolysis and Lipogenesis. Of course low carb, fat based patterns will prevent fat regain. It’s because they do not fill up, and then overcompensate glycogen. You have to chronically overcompensate glycogen in order to transition back into Lipogenesis.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #21

In my carb-burning days, I would eat to the point where “just one more waffer-theen mint” would cause me to explode, and I’d still want more. On keto, I lose interest in food long before my belly is anywhere near full. Now, if I could just stop those [spoiler]damned[/spoiler] cravings. . . .

(Janet) #22

Dr. Bret Scher’s short summary of the study and more newspaper links. Including Dr. Ludwig’s own Op-Ed.

(Running from stupidity) #23

I like Bret’s stuff. He writes well, and get to the heart of the issue. (This appeals to my journalist’s sense of #GETTOTHEPOINT :slight_smile:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #24

I’m very happy to report that the American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) just published a favorable article on this study:

(Running from stupidity) #25

Well-written article. Comments are mostly Facebook-level.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #26

I suppose we can console ourselves that they aren’t down to YouTube level. Yet.