HotChaChaCHA! Do you like pepper sauces?

(Mediterranean Magic! Show me yer...) #1

Please to share recipes below.

Here’s my current batch going down:

About two cups various hot as fuck chilies with stems removed. I only deseeded and removed pith from the big ones. One small orange and one small lemon, sliced, seeds removed. Two cloves garlic, one small onion. Hot water to cover.

I’ll simmer for about 30 minutes until everything is tender, let cool, fish out the citrus rinds, then stick blend to a puree. I add about a quarter cup of red wine or apple cider vinegar after that, then pack into a clean jar or bottle. You only need a few drops, so can consider zero carb.

Update – whoa! Amazing flavour. The citrus really shines. I put the tip of spoon in and shook it off, then tsated. It was about a minute before I was ready to follow up with a taste of sour cream lol. Estimating half a teaspoon of sauce will flavour 4 servings of curry or a keto chili.

(brian) #2

Looks great, I’ve never made my own sauce now I’m inspired!

For a smokey flavour, grill peppers first, remove thin black charred skin, and proceed with your recipe the same way. Give a hickory smoked like flavour to hot sauce.

(Mediterranean Magic! Show me yer...) #4

I’m currently smoking some peeled chipotles too lol. I haz a problem :slight_smile:

(Jan) #5

This is beautiful. Never added citrus but I usually squeeze some onto whatever I’m eating, so this sounds great.

(Jan) #6

Here’s my fave - homemade fermented sriracha:/ “cock sauce”
2 # fresh chilis (red is traditional but I’ve used all kinds)
9 cloves garlic
1 tsp sea salt
6 Tbsp vinegar
2 tsp sea salt
Wash & chop chili’s, seed if desired. Blend chilis, garlic, 1tsp salt in food processor until it looks like a smoothie, with foam on top.
Put into a very clean quart (or larger) canning jar; cover with cheesecloth & screw on ring. Move jar to a coolish spot away from direct sunlight, allow to ferment 2 -4 days or up to a week. Liquid will separate to the bottom & the “sludge” will become bubbly. Taste to see if it’s fermented enough for you. It will go quicker when it’s warmer.
When it’s just right add the vinegar & the rest of the salt. Can be kept in the fridge for several months. Or: Boil for a minute if you’d like to stop all fermentation. Will keep indefinitely in the fridge after being boiled.
Adapted from Asian Pickles by Karen Solomon.

(Jan) #7

Another of my go-to’s adapted from the same book: Thai pickled chili’s
(These are like what you find on tables in Thai restaurants with the little tiny spoon)
3 (2"long pieces of lime zest
(Couple slices of red onion - optional)
8oz jalapeno or other chili’s, stemmed & sliced
1 tsp kosher salt
2Tbsp powdered erythritol or other sweetener
About 6 Tbsp vinegar
About 6 Tbsp cool water
Layer the lime zest & onion in bottom of 1 pint jar, then pack in sliced chili’s. Add salt & sweetener. Pour vinegar about halfway up jar, then top off with water. Cover & shake to dissolve salt & sweetener. Let it stand at room temp at least 24 hrs before eating, then store in fridge.
I make 3-4 jars at a time; they’ll last several months in the fridge. Mine are usually gone much more quickly. Awesome on omelettes, noodles, curries, soups…just awesome.