Hot, yet cold. Sleep broken waking every 3 hours to pee. 78 hours into fast

(Max) #1

Basically the title, I’m 78 hours in and having it pretty rough. I’ve heard from most that these are the most challenging days as it stands but—I’m not sure what’s going on. Is this a sign I’m not getting enough salt? Am I drinking too much water? Is this just normal?

It more or less feels like a fever—general muscle aches too, elevated heart rate (90bpm resting), but no stuffy nose/sniffling anything like that.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

You may be short on electrolytes and liquid. A cup of bone broth a day should not break your fast.

(Max) #3

You were right, I feel quite a bit better after a cup of 3/2 bouillon cubes. Thank you :slight_smile:

(Max) #4

1 more question if you don’t mind—I also had an acne breakout overnight, is this still related to hyponatremia? Or is this breaking up fat cells and clearing out their stored toxins?

(Bob M) #5

I don’t know, but my guess is it’s related to hormones. Some hormones get much higher (or lower) when on a longer fast. Growth hormone, for instance, goes up.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

All I can tell you is that all my pimples cleared up after I went keto, and my skin and scalp stopped being so greasy. Five years later, if I overdo the carbs (and even if it’s not enough extra carbohydrate to halt ketosis), I start seeing blackheads and pimples again. As Bob says, there is probably something hormonal going on, which can be triggered by a number of different stimuli.

So do other hormones which have oil gland stimulation properties as you would see in both genders with testosterone production (like with female marathoners).

The other hormones related to stress of any kind – both physical and mental – will also produce acne. These include adrenalin (epinephrine) and noradrenalin (norepinephrine) and cortisol.

Also, overstimulation from external drugs like we see in meth addicts results in severe acne, as an example. This is from a combination of electrolyte stress, dehydration and sleep deprivation. Also, rough cleansing of the skin, long steamy showers and strong soaps all contribute to the problem.

The other contributor mentioned bone broth, preferable to little cubes of bullion. True. Also, your body is 75% sodium chloride (salt) so you must supplement aggressively, unless your cardiologist says no. Redmond brand is excellent. It tastes great and looks dirty for all the additional vital minerals it contains from the Utah lake bed which is many millenia old.