Hormones and fasting, permanent damage?

hello, I am currently on cycle day 36, I usually have 32 to 35 day cycles. I’m going through alot of shit right now. I’m pretty sure it’s the combination of the stress, fasting and weight I dropped that are why I’m not ge6my period. My question is has anyone heard of permanent damage to hormones from some mild extended fasting? i saw an article that said fasting in women could cause early menopause and shrink the ovaries.
I am 31, separated from my husband for 1 month, got my period the day after we separated, no chance of pregnancy. extremely stressed the past 2 months, moved back home with parents with my 3 kids. got them in school, multiple states away. my future is so foggy I cant see 6 months ahead of me. I felt like I didn’t have a choice but to leave even though I didn’t really want to. I’m sure I’m stressed enough to stop my period.
I weighed 259 lbs, 5’5. when we separated and in one month time since then, I lost 30 pounds with semi keto diet and IF, started at 16:8, got used to that, did 24 hours and did a few 2 or 3 day fasts all in this month. did not have as hard a time controlling appetite, could be stress related.
I’m currently 224. I know my hormones were out of whack before I started fasting and losing weight because we were previously trying to get pregnant but I don’t think I was ovulating at that weight and previously was told I had insulin resistance and testosterone was high which could make me infertile, I was 21, after that i lost weight and got pregnant naturally with all 3 kids.
I know I need to lose weight, I’ve never dropped weight easier. I’m looking at diabetes and other health issues if i dont get weight down. Has anyone had issues not being able to get period back? I get that ideally long term I’d need to do 16:8 or 12:12 maybe as a woman to bring hormones out of shock, I just dont want my reproductive system to shut down, but the catch 22 is, stayed where I was was not healthy for my hormones either. and I carry alot of belly fat.i just want to know that I’m not permanently damaging my hormones trying to take charge of my eating habits, bingeing and getting this belly fat off,
I have been exercising, walking an hour, some weight lifting noting too major, no hiit or marathon training. I’m surprised my body is reacting like this to a few 3 day fasts. or might if be the stress?
help

(Carolyn aka stokies) #2

Stress will mess it up hugely, which you already identified. The other thing with fasting is that toxins and hormones get released when fat stores are liberated. Hormones get stored into our fats reserves and can also trip up our cycles. Just something to think about. Most people find that keto and fasting help recalibrate and stabilize fertility from what I have read thus far… will keep checking back to learn more with you :slight_smile:

Women get a really raw deal with weight loss. Our fat cells store hormones, so when we lose weight those hormones get released and can cause period weirdness. I have an IUD and had had maybe 3 periods in 8 years before starting keto. After I started losing weight I started getting periods again, light but erratic. I never know when to expect them.

Keto and fasting are known to lead to balancing out hormones over time. I’ve heard from many women that their fertility improved significantly with keto. Personally I am NOT hoping for that result, lol!

I’m sorry for all the stress you’re going through. Please take a little time for yourself, and maybe start practicing meditation for a few minutes each day to help with those stress levels.

(Bunny) #4

Women, fasting and ovaries shrinking?

The problem?

A very minor hitch: must be done in crescendo or gradually (don’t nose dive) in other words you have to adapt or graduate towards it over a period of time in successions to get to point A (IF) to point B (EF)?

The Secret to Intermittent Fasting for Women - Dr. Josh Axe

Episode 17: Dietary Fasting ft. Dr. Jason Fung - Geoffrey Woo: Most fricking awesome interview I ever seen featuring Dr. Fung - A MUST HEAR PODCAST OR TRANSCRIPT READ! This one really blows me away! Woo & Fung are both big hammers everything else is just nails being hit square on the head!