Hope you don't work at WeWork

(Gabriel G.) #1

The startup has told its 6,000 global staff that they will no longer be able to expense meals including meat, and that it won’t pay for any red meat, poultry or pork at WeWork events. In an email to employees this week outlining the new policy, co-founder Miguel McKelvey said the firm’s upcoming internal “Summer Camp” retreat would offer no meat options for attendees.

“New research indicates that avoiding meat is one of the biggest things an individual can do to reduce their personal environmental impact,” said McKelvey in the memo, “even more than switching to a hybrid car.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-07-13/wework-tells-employees-meat-is-permanently-off-the-company-menu

(Shayne) #2

Guess I would be buying my own meals and bringing my own meat to company events.

(Gabriel G.) #3

And brushing up your resume.

(Shayne) #4

well, yeah, 'cuz as soon as they find out I won’t vegan, I’d be fired.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #5

What a load of :poop:

(Ana Policzer) #6

You know it’s ideologically driven when they cite vague “new research”. Where’s the ban on soil-depleting corn and soy, and all the other mass-produced mega-crops?

(Jane) #7

It also applies to meals paid for through expense accounts??? (according to the article)

I never turn it a receipt that shows what I ate - just the signed credit card receipt. Guess WeWork will require both.

That is fucked up on so many levels!

(Jane) #8

I’d probably be fired also… after my third day in a row to grill a steak or burgers or :bacon: in the break room on a George Foreman grill and everyone would have to smell it!!!
:rofl:

(Anne) #9

Not to mention all the people living and working in appalling conditions to grow and harvest all those crops which apparently are so saintly to eat. Personally, I’d rather a cow die to feed me than a human being suffer in poor working conditions and be wildly underpaid to boot.

My sister has gone vegetarian, and is flirting with veganism, mainly because she works in philosophy and is easily swayed by the opinions of those around her. I tried to debate the ethics of veganism with her… it did not go well!

Edit-- I also feel that the keto woe, with many people consuming skins and organ meat and more of an animal than may otherwise be used, is pretty good. I have a pair of earrings which are carved from chicken bones salvaged from a slaughterhouse in India. It freaks people out sometimes when they find out what the earrings are made of, but I love it! Those chickens feed people, and also made something beautiful and permanent!