Honey flavor

(Jon) #1

So obviously honey is a bad idea for keto in all but the most microscopic quantities. And yes, it is easy to come up with sweetening substitutes if honey is being used as a basic sweetener … but what if honey is a big part of the -flavor-?

I love(d) Texas Roadhouse yeast rolls and honey cinnamon butter. Have found a keto recipe for the yeast rolls, and both a regular and low carb recipes for the butter. But the supposedly low carb recipe still uses honey, and is still something insane like 11 carbs for a tablespoon of the butter.

So that I can do some experimenting of my own, how can I get some honey flavoring without honey? Is there such a thing as honey extract?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #2

There’s some stuff you just have to let go of and honey is out. Never heard of any honey flavored extract. You could mix swerve brown sugar and cinnamon with butter. But really if you can it’s best to leave sweet behind and let the sweet tooth die. I only make sweets for a holiday anymore and I don’t miss them. No temptation to snack or eat more than I should. Lots of others agree with me and lots of KETO bakers here too. You have to decide for yourself. When you quit eating hyper sweet foods your taste buds adjust and you start tasting a bit of sweet in lots of other foods. Best thing I did. :cowboy_hat_face:

I RAISE BEES. All too often I wind up tasting it as I harvest. No two ways about it honey tastes great. I tsp has 7 grams of carbs. All sugar. 1 Tbsp 21 g.

I just have to go solid carnivore those days.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

It’s funny how our sense of taste can change. I used to find 70% chocolate too bitter to enjoy, and now I like unsweetened chocolate just fine.

As a sugar/carbohydrate addict, I find it helpful to avoid sweet things. An alcoholic of my acquaintance once said, “Non-alcoholic beer is for non-alcoholics,” and I find the same principle applies to sweet tastes: they are better left to those who can handle them.

Also, we can take a page from Alcoholics Anonymous and other 12-Step programs. I find that, instead of swearing off sweets forever, it is much easier to tell myself that I’m just not going to have that sweet thing right now, but that I can have all I want—tomorrow. Swearing off forever is a great way to give the addiction power over me. Take it one day at a time.

(Jane) #5

Don’t know of any honey flavored substitutes… if you really want it bad then go carnivore the entire day and enjoy your Tbl of honey butter!

When I used to eat the Texas Roadhouse I always had to ask (and wait for and sometimes ask twice because they forgot) real butter because the honey butter was too sweet for me - even before keto.

(Terri Bell) #6

I have bought honey flavoring in the past. I’m thinking it was Amoretti. Expensive but worth it. They have a ton of different flavors

(Full Metal KETO AF) #7

Nature’s Hollow, Sugar-Free Honey Substitute 14 Ounce, Non GMO, Keto Friendly, Gluten Free - 1 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010AIER0K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Hb3QEb9339WBW

Natural Honey Sweetener All-u-Lose, Non-GMO, Low Carbs & Calories made with Allulose with Monk Fruit (1:1 sweetness) 11.75 oz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C59SLTC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_nj3QEbTWS0723

Surprise, it looks like Amazon has options…duh! Make sure you read the labels carefully, Pyre has tapioca starch! The ones I posted look pretty good if you don’t count sugar alcohol, (erythritol) or are okay with 1.5g per tablespoon minimal carbs in Allulose. Pyre had Stevia but still was 14 carbs per tablespoon, All-u-lose looks good, I like Allulose. Kind of spendy. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Jane) #8

Allulose is pricey but dissolves smoothly so I use it in baking. Otherwise stevia or erythritol.

(Jon) #9

Thanks for the suggestions. I enjoy my couple of carbs spent a day on dessert, and won’t cut the sweet things entirely, but to each their own. Soon will be getting some allulose for my mason jar ice cream, because it is supposed to froze less hard than the erythritol/monkfruit blend. But depending on how much honey substitute is needed for the cost, I may have to give up on the idea of the honey flavor in the butter.