Homemade tomato juice

(Quil1030) #1

Can someone tell me Iam having a struggle finding the net carbs of tomato juice. I can my own and it is simply just the juice and pulp from the tomatoes I grow no additives.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

It would be the same as the total carbs of the whole tomato. Remember that juicing destroys the fiber, so it is no longer indigestible. Hence, count the total carbs of the original tomato.

(Carpe salata!) #3

It probably depends on ripeness etc. I’ve seen 1.5 up to 4.5% net carbs.

(Carpe salata!) #4

I don’t want to make this an argument thread. :smiley: :laughing: But doesn’t the juicing ‘extract’ the fibre so the net is still the same?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

I’d never heard that, but you could be right. I was going by something Dr. Robert Lustig said in one of his lectures about why not to drink fruit juice. But I could easily have misconstrued what he said.

(Carpe salata!) #6

OK. My education on this is more limited to the 2KD podcasts so I’m open to learning. I was thinking that the extraction of cellulose ( the fibre) is a physical process while making fibre digestible like in a cow’s stomach(s) is more of a biological or chemical process.

Like, no amount of just chewing will make fibre digestible.

(TJ Borden) #7

No, juicing specifically DOES NOT extract the fiber. That’s why juicers have the pulp bins on the back. That’s all the fiber.

If you were to use a blender and grind up the whole fruit, then the fiber is still technically in there, but it’s already broken down in a way the negates the benefits.

Lustig’s point was that someone will easily drink a large glass of orange juice, but they won’t sit and eat the entire 8 oranges it took to make that glass of orange juice.

(Carpe salata!) #8

OK thanks for that.

So the tomato juice still has the fibre in it in smaller pieces.

I think the fibre helps to slow the release of the sugars when the whole fruit is eaten. The orange juice has multiple oranges of sugar and no fibre, so insulin gets a major spike.

(TJ Borden) #9

Not if it’s ground up. The machine did a bulk of what your system WOULD have done to break it down.

(Quil1030) #10

The tomato juice has the pulp just simply boiled them and peeled them and crushed them. This is really good info thank you so much guys for the help!