Homemade Clotted cream 1st try

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #1

Hey y’all! I sorta did a thing! :smiley:

After reading talk about clotted cream on FB, I thought I’d make an attempt to do it at home so that I could try it. Researched, watched videos, and bought an oven thermometer so i could play with my oven (my knob doesn’t show anything under 260 so I had to figure how to adjust which included keeping the oven door cracked). I think I did it right. Is it supposed to have a sorta toffee like taste? If so, it’s a success! If not, it’s still a success cuz this is good. LOL Even the leftover thin cream is delish! As shown in one of the pictures, I added some pumpkin spice to it. I made too much though - I wasn’t sure how much it would cook down, so I used 2 quarts. :eyes: I won’t do that again. So, this is what I’ll be having for the next week, on cloud bread, in keto crepes, on keto pancakes, in Greek yogurt too, shucks on a spoon. I also saw a video on making fudge with it, I may attempt to do that. There’s also going to be some keto toffee hot chocolate (white or brown) this week… next time I’ll be more conservative.

(Mandi) #2

That is a thing of beauty!

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #3

Thank you!!

That is lovely!!! Glad to see it indeed can be made at home. And thanks for the knowledge that 2 quarts would be too much, since that is what I was going to try.

I was going to do it this weekend, but decided to wait a bit since I want to cut down somewhat on dairy for now.

Costco carries two kinds of HWC - Horizon which is organic and ultra pasteurized, and another brand (Producers?) that is just pasteurized. I was going to use the Producers since it’s been recommended to not use the ultra.

(Sophie) #5

This looks exactly like the videos that I recently watched. I bet it was scrumptious! Now, I have to add this to my short list!

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #6

It really was! I wasn’t disappointed in the least!

I ended up making clotted cream a month or so ago (from pasteurized not ultra pasteurized). It turned out OK, actually good tasting, but it was not of the quality or exceptional taste of that consumed in the UK.

So I did not know what to do with it since I’d only had it on scones. And I didn’t want to eat it by the spoonful. Not wanting to just toss it, I froze it in half cup containers.

And there it sat, frozen and inert, till I had the bright idea I could use it when making keto cheese cake. I added a thawed half cup to the recipe. Awesome! It added a dimension I could not imagine.

Then I added some to a cream cheese keto frosting. Again - Winner!

I’ll bet it would make a nice addition to blender ice cream this summer. :heart_eyes_cat:

Can’t make too many keto treats however. :crying_cat_face: