Holy guacamole! Giant avocados!

conversationstarters

Seems I need to move to Queensland…
http://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2018-07-11/giant-avocados-hit-the-markets/9971220?=smid=FB_M|News&WT.tsrc=Facebook_Organic

(Consensus is Politics) #2

Out local Walmart sell one that looks similar to that. Easily 4 times larger than the other avocado. With a very smooth skin.

I have tried the ones here a few times. But each time the flavor was very weak, and the pit was unproportionately large.

It wasn’t bad. But it wasn’t enough to sway me to buy them anymore.

This variety (I’ve heard) has a good taste and texture, so I’m curious to try one. But I don’t want to be spending a lot of money on something that is half pit! That annoys me with the little baby ones I’ve bought in the past - there’s hardly any flesh on them.

(Consensus is Politics) #4

We have another smaller one here with the brand name “kidvacado”. About 1/2 the size of a regular avocado. But with a bonus of a very tiny pit. Much more flesh for its size. But then they cost more too.

Puts an entirely different spin on my avocado a day habit. I’m moving with you.

(Sybella) #6

:open_mouth:

(Ken) #7

The reason why the giant avocados are not as tasty is that their fat content is lower than the typical Haas cultivar. It’s more watery. There’s lot’s of that type grown in Southern Florida.

It’s interesting to note that all Haas types are traced back to one exceptional tree found in Whittier, CA. They, like other fruit varietals, have been propagated by grafting.

(Consensus is Politics) #8

Wow. Talk about something that causes memories to come flooding back. When I was a kid, we went to visit a relative somewhere in Northern California. I was about 10 I think. They had a tree in their back yard that had three different fruits growing on it. The day I was there it had apples and pears. They said it also had another fruit, that I don’t remember. I think it was a different variety of apple.

Being the science geek that I was, I had to figure out how. I knew that one tree couldn’t grow three different fruits. I assumed it was three trees planted with seeds grown side by side, so that as they grew they merged. The more I looked at the tree, I began to notice strange details, like the bark suddenly changing on one branch leading to sever others. It hit me all at once. They grafted other branches on the one tree! I was so excited. I wanted to grow one for myself with every fruit I could think of. Everyone thought I was being silly. But all I could think of was a fruit salad tree!

(Ken) #9

If I had room, I’d plant one of these. There’s lot’s of other options out there as well.
http://www.pixiesgardens.com/fruit-nut-peaches-plums-fruits-171081086in1.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw-JvaBRDGARIsAFjqkkpE65vjQ05n2lOsP2ZtE7NcBpsf2gh9KTSrvemBiBp7o7n8ZtGxxbsaAuhCEALw_wcB

Grafting is awesome! Who wouldn’t want a fruit-salad tree. :slight_smile: You can have one with all kinds of citrus, and another with all kinds of stone fruit. Great as a space-saver, or for those who don’t want to be overwhelmed with a massive crop of all the same produce.

I though they weren’t allowed to turn the food into science experiments in AU? No way that’s not played around with.