Holy Crap, I Cracked The Pancake Code! Oat Fiber Pancakes!

(Ashley) #41

Trying these tomorrow with bacon and eggs as a OMAD breakfast day for dinner :slight_smile: they look good, Iā€™m sure theyā€™ll be great

(Freedom From Obesity) #42

The carbs in any fiber do not count. The net carb is 0

So tried the pancakes today, thanks to you. I very much enjoyed them. I used 3/4 cup almond milk and worried the batter would thicken while it rested for the few minutes it didnā€™t. Next time I will do 1/2 cup almond milk. Also may add some vanilla. Thanks again for the recipe.

(Denise OBrien) #44

Thanks for sharing your pancake triumph, will have to give it a goā€¦as I recently picked up some oat fiber after reading about it for muffins (https://www.ketoconnect.net/high-fiber-muffins/). Have yet to work up the courage to put it to the test - so much fiber! (LOL) - but youā€™ve given me incentive. Thanks!

(Bob M) #45

Itā€™s the opposite: fiber CAUSES constipation. See, for instance, the following:

Or:

https://modernhealthmonk.com/low-fiber-diet/

@JustPeachy Iā€™ve had these bookmarked for a whileā€¦decided to give them a try this morning. They were good, but I donā€™t think I let them sit long enough. Iā€™m trying to stay dairy free or at least very low dairy, so I subbed out the melted butter for melted coconut oil. I opened a fresh bag of (lifesource) oat bran and my batter was VERY thick with just 1/2 cup of almond milk so I added another 1/2 cup (which may have been too much! lol). So question, how long should I have let them rest? I think that was my mistake. Thanks for the recipe. :slight_smile:

What syrups do people use? Iā€™m trying to avoid most artificial sweeteners, especially malitolā€“which is what is in my ā€œfavoriteā€ SF syrup that I can buy locally.

(Sophie) #47

Hi Kyz, Iā€™m not sure about your sitting question. It never occurred to me really. I usually mix them up when Iā€™m frying bacon, but I donā€™t think it matters. The only thing Iā€™ve found is that they are easier to flip if you let them cook really well before trying to turn them. Once they are flipped, it dosenā€™t take long on that side before they are done.

(Dong Nippano) #48

I tried them today. I followed the recipe exactly. They crumbled so much I couldnā€™t even flip in the pan. Tasted just like oat fiber which is not a good taste. I have yet to find a good keto recipe for my way too expensive oat fiber.

(Richard Humphrey) #50

Oat fiber should not knock anyone out of ketosis. As it is pretty much pure fiber, it counts as zero net carbs. You may find that it lacks the elasticity desired for certain recipes though.

For this pancake recipe, the only net carbs are those from the eggs really (about .4g per egg). Per pancake, the carb count is really quite low and the recipe is really quite good as well as being much simpler than the other pancake recipes Iā€™ve tried.

For those on a MAD/keto diet for the treatment of epilepsy, you do have to count the carbs from sugar alcohols though from the erithritol in the swerve but you can easily replace that with stevia if need be.

(Richard Humphrey) #51

If they are too crumbly, try adding more egg and a bit of ground chia seeds. Then allow the mix to sit for a few minutes before cooking.

(Tired of the yoyo) #52

Iā€™ve made these today. They are so good! I was going to skip breakfast this morning, but I made my daughter some pancakes and my stomach was growling like crazy! Today I added a few SF chocolate chips. Thanks for posting this recipe.

(UsedToBeT2D) #53

If you canā€™t do without pancakes, then eat real pancakes.

(Tired of the yoyo) #54

I can live without pancakes (among many other foods), but I like this recipe just fine. My weight loss hasnā€™t suffered yet because I make them periodically. :woman_shrugging:

I agree with this philosophy. :raised_hands:t2:

I personally eat whatever I want and can (well itā€™s a tad more complicated but basically this is the case). Definitely NOT pancakes with flour. I am a huge pancake fan but my taste subtly changed and I hate flour taste in pancakes. And I am a hedonist so I want the food that is tasty AND feels good as well.

I definitely never cared what others consider right or what works best for them. We are all individuals :smiley:

And sometimes experimenting is fun :slight_smile: Cooking is a hobby for many of us, I think. Sometimes we just need to make good pancakes because we WANT it in our life (I had years pursuing itā€¦ I was such a little one, not knowing anything how it is doneā€¦ but I had interesting experiments) and sometimes we are merely curious what would happen if we change something. I even made replacements for stuff I never wanted to replace, just out of curiosityā€¦

So I will continue to eat my best pancake, not some inferior one just because most people eat those.
It seems many people think we eat a low-carb version because we want a carby one but itā€™s not so good for us (nothing is wrong with that. why to hurt ourselves if a low-carb one is good enough and if we consider everything, itā€™s a way better deal? it makes no sense to choose the worse one. if someone has no problem with the carby one and they prefer that, thatā€™s another thing). But my low-carb desserts are simply tastier and vastly superior to their carby counterparts IMO so the latters have zero chanceā€¦
(I feel so lucky now.)

Thank you - Really appreciate this recipe as it got me to thinking about how to use Oat Fiber and modify for my particular needs. I tweaked this a little as my interests are low calorie and low cholesterol, not necessarily Keto (but it is Keto). This is how I tweaked it:
SUMMARY recipe:
Mix all dry ingredients.
.5c + 1 Tbs Oat Fiber (NaturTonix Oat Fiber ā€“ supposedly Zero Calorie)
2 - 4 Tbls Splenda.
1.5 tsp. Baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
Added Ā½ tsp of Kelcogel (LT100 - high acyl gellan gum from Modern Pantry on Amazon).
Did NOT use any butter or olive oil except to lightly grease a non-stick pan.

Mix and then add wet ingredients to the dry above.
(Note: I used a blender to make sure the gellan was thoroughly mixed with no lumps).
1-1/2 cups Almond milk. (45 calories almond milk for entire batch)
Approx. Ā¾ cup Egg beaters (or Egg White Powder). (125 calories of egg for entire batch)

Makes about 16 pancakes for a total of 170 calories for all 16 pancakes. I am a big guy, and found that 8 pancakes with Walden Farms zero cal pancake syrup definitely filled me up (and kept me full).
Taste/texture: Lighter and fluffier than regular pancakes, and you can tell that you are not getting a full calorie load. But they definitely are tasty and worth eating if your alternative is celery sticks :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Can I use cow milk instead of almond milk? I tried squeezing the little nipple on the almond, but nothing came out.

Here is a nice alternative

https://www.wickedstuffed.com/keto-breakfast-ideas/blueberry-keto-pancakes/ She has other recipes that do not have berries in them. Have not made them in awhile but for me Oat Flour just did not work well

Also why no butter or oil, adds flavor