Holiday Lazy Keto, issues now

diabetes
type1

(Phil Maskell ) #1

Hi,

I went on holiday for 2 weeks end of August, did lazy keto, steak n salad, but glass or 2 of wine. It was France so a croissant for breakfast :scream:

I am a keen cyclist and pre holiday I was 14% body fat, 65(ish) kg, 45% muscle. On turbo (only way I can measure watts) I could sit at MAF HR (138) pushing out 150 to 180 watts, 250+ if I wanted to raise HR.

Since holiday I am now 18% body fat, 75kg and 40% muscle, I know the bio scales can be inaccurate, but this is a nasty trend. On the bike I am struggling to push out 60 watts and HR was 130ish now 170+ doing this.

Another variable is I am Type 1 Diabetic.

Any ideas why eating lazy keto I am so broken now?

Or do I have an underlying cold my body is fighting? BG seems fine, I am in ketosis, 0.5 to 1.0, green on ketonix. I have tried a 5 day fast to reset things too. Tend to do 16/8 IF most work days too.

While writing this I have thought I might try testing HRV tomorrow morning, see if my body is overly stressed?

Ideas of things to try?

Phil

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

How much carbohydrate are you eating? Try getting down below 20 g/day if you’re higher than that. Also, are you taking more insulin than just your daily dose? One advantage of low carbohydrate intake is being able to do away with the pre-prandial doses. Insulin is the fat-storage hormone, after all. The less carbohydrate you eat, the more your blood sugar will stay in the normal range and the less insulin you will need, which really lowers your risk of hypos in addition to minimizing fat storage.

(Phil Maskell ) #3

Paul,

Thanks for the reply, I’m eating next to no carbs, way less than 20g, unless I go low :rage:.

Being type 1 I do basal morning and night, but I still need bolas for food, and life… I need bolas for Dawn Phen or cortisol kick, the moment feet hit the floor :frowning:

I still need a little (a lot less than carby days) bolas for eggs or steak or anything really…

Since I posted I’ve had a cold come out, so I’m hoping hoping once over this cycling will be back to normal and eating on holiday hasn’t broken something :scream: