Hmmm what do you think of this advice?

(Jo Lo) #21

For ketosis, low carb is more important than high fat according to what I’ve learned from Dr Ted Naiman. High fat can be associated with unwanted weight gain.

(Jo Lo) #22

“you can absolutely be in ketosis on a “high protein” diet if carbs are zero, trust me. especially if exercising.” -Dr Ted Naiman

Emphasis added by me.

Taken out of context this could sound like someone is not advocating high fat and I would clarify it to say, “Higher fat than required by your body can be associated with weight gain” because I’m sure the medical establishment would consider anything eaten by someone eating this way to be “high fat”.

Yes, some people can and do lose weight on the over-simplified and erroneously practiced version of low-carb that is commonly referred to as “Atkins”, but there are plenty of people for whom that doesn’t work until they eat higher fat.

Going back to the OP, @Redirish86’s version of keto might be 65% fat and not the 80% given in the advice offered, so it’s all about finding the right amount for each person and their point in this journey.

I will say that when eating ketogenically, carbs and protein should be relatively fixed according to the metrics mentioned throughout these forums and it is the amount of fat that would be adjusted when trying to maintain or lose weight on this WOE.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #24

This is kinda the point. Your appetite wanes on keto and you end up eating exactly the right amount for you. When was the last time you EVER wanted to tip back an entire jar of coconut oil?

(Bart) #25

I have heard plenty of advice from people that you can eat all the fat you want and not worry about it, that it is fine. I have never wanted to tip back a jar of anything. I think the fat bomb thing is way over done by many people. They do not use them as a way to get just a little more fat for satiety but rather an indulgent desert which could lead to the overeating of fat. When in reality the people may be over doing it.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #26

So let 'em overdo it. They’ll either gain weight or they won’t, it’s their body to figure out. It’s a waste of time going all Mayor Bloomberg on their proverbial soda cups.

(Bart) #27

I am with you, but if they are asking for help or advice why not give them accurate advice rather than advice that some “Want” to be but may not actually be true. It is then up to the individual to either follow it or not, or better yet take the advice in, search for some more advice, figure out what the hell is going on with their own metabolism then plot and follow a course that will work best for them.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #28

I’m not gettin’ through, I guess. Just gonna let this one go.

Sounds like you’ve got yourself one determined and incredibly supportive lady beside you. Lucky you!!! Is she signed up to the forums? Lots of great support for women from women (and everyone else, of course!) that can help explain, and ease the pain of, some of the things that women in particular experience with Keto.

(Dustin Cade) #30

she was on the FB group, I’ve tried to get her to join the forums, I imagine she’ll join eventually… I am very lucky to have her, we get each other, that’s not easy to find. .