HIIT Query for a Keto Newbie

(Priyanka Sehgal) #1

A bit info about me:–
This is my 9th day on keto and Mondays i go for HIIT training, rest days are weight lifting with rest days

my query is: –
i am not sure i am keto adopted or not, definately my performance has reduced, after 100m sprints i was out of energy, i had to took more rest time and HIIT-Run was difficult to finish today, though i did somehow

so question is if i am not keto adopted, and i am eating very less carbs everyday, will HIIT run effect me in negative way, as it would need gulocose for sprinting

i am not sure of the process, but i am wondering, will HIIT run help me to get Keto adopted or it will have negative impact

(Jim Russell) #2

It is likely that doing HIIT will help your keto adaptation because it will empty the glycogen from your muscles.The only downside of doing HIIT during the keto adaptation phase is that your performance during the HIIT sessions will definitely suffer for a while.

I have been doing a scoop of exogenous ketones before lifting or HIIT and definitely have noticed more energy during the workouts.

https://blog.ketoship.com/2015/03/26/using-high-intensity-interval-training-ketosis/

(Priyanka Sehgal) #3

Thank you, that was helpful.
i will continue my HIIT once or twice a week, rest is Strength Training

(Allan Misner) #4

It shouldn’t be an issue doing HIIT, but if you’re not fat adapted, you’ll notice you won’t perform well. That’s okay for two reasons: 1) You’ll be burning off glycogen and 2) 100% effort is 100% effort even if you don’t go as far.

Just make sure you are well hydrated and you’re getting enough electrolytes.

(Priyanka Sehgal) #5

Thank you so much

(Jason Fletcher) #6

this was posted today

(Jason Fletcher) #7

This was in Chris Masterjohn videos on cellular energy metabolism 5CBA3DB4-B55B-4E08-B195-DC3A95A82906

(Jason Fletcher) #8

Now it takes about 4 mins between sets to replenish atp cp. and you can see doing a hit workout on Keto it will work well since you only go for about 15 secs. Plus hiit workouts stress the body forcing it to adapt at the cellular level.

(Ethan) #9

The latest episode though seemed to say aerobic has its own benefits, and a lot of the newest studies seem to indicate that the benefits of HIIT are potentially fanfare/hype. There is a time for everything, though, I think. I would also caution those with any heart condition, especially connective tissue disorders, to not to HIIT.

(Jenny) #10

This guy talks about diff types of training in ketosis . Also it’s easy to test through bloods if your in ketosis , you just need a glucomen, that are quite cheap to buy , around £20. The ketone urine strips are useless as they only record ketones in urine and not in blood and it’s the ones in blood that count as we pee out the ones in urine . I’ve attached a video you mite find interesting about Keto and training https://youtu.be/MQpsFTVAqpA

(Jason Fletcher) #11

I would have to agree the increase chance of injury i believe in most cases would out way the reported benefit. Especially considering the people who may be using this to drop a large amounts of body fat trying to find a quick fix because of the hope of a higher BMR. The combination of major metabolic disorders and HIIT could send some to a early grave.

(mike) #12

Jason_Fletcher posted an interesting chart. “What is the difference”?

I’m 55, and perform what I believe is HIIT on an elliptical. I warm up for about 5 min, then do 7 sets of 30 secs at 100% or greater of my max heart rate, separated by 2 min rest. I usually get to 165-175 at peak. This actually takes me between 20-25 min. Not the 10 min shown.

I believe this is HIIT, correct?

(Jason Fletcher) #13

You cant push to your max within 10 to 30 seconds on elliptical. This will mean you go to failure and have to stop at 10 to 30 seconds. So you push at max intensity then once you are forced to slow down just a little the set is over. Here is a example. With a bike like this you can adjust the resistance so you will fail at 10 to 30 seconds. Your elliptical you will not be able to push hard enough.