HIIT exercise for bad knees

(betsy.rome) #1

I’d like to try HIIT (high-intensity interval training). I can get to a pool 1x/week, sometimes once every 2 weeks. All other forms of exercise I’ve tried are hard on my knees. Age 62, with one TKR knee replacement, & the other knee has a worn meniscus & arthritis, and is due for replacement (which I will put off as long as I can walk). My TKR 2-1/2 years ago was not good, resulting in limited range of motion & continued pain/swelling, and both knees hurt daily. Weight loss has helped, but has stalled at 15 lbs away from goal, so I think it’s time to add regular exercise to keto.

Any suggestions on how I can incorporate some form of HIIT? I have access to gyms in my area, but the ones with pools are far away. Jumping jacks, jumping rope, sprints etc are out of the question. Should I just start a walking program - I can walk for 20 min, in the morning - but that uses up my knees & I’m shot for the day. I don’t think that’s enough to be effective.

I sprained my ankle (grade 2) and can’t run, play tennis, etc. The trainer at the Equinox I work out introduced me to the Stairmaster Fan Bike for HIIT. I warm up for 2 mins, go about 50-60 RPM for 50 seconds and all out for 10 seconds, repeat 10 times, and cool down 3 mins. https://corehandf.com/product/airfit-fullbody-exercise-bike/

(Mike Glasbrener) #3

Can you ride a stationary bike? If you can then you can start at low power moderate cadence and build from there. I personally prefer traditional rather than recumbent, but then again I’m a cyclist. I wouldn’t do HIIT until you’ve built a cardio base and musculature to support it. 5-6 weeks base training would be good. It’s no good to do HIIT and injure yourself in the process. :slightly_frowning_face:

(betsy.rome) #4

Yes I could, but the one I have at home is broken, none of the electronics or resistance controls work, and a decent new one is $$. I’m done buying used ones, there’s a reason people get rid of them, they break. So I could try using one at a gym first.

I think you should try cycling either indoor or outdoor. I had 10 knee operations between both knees and had a TKR 8 years ago. My other knee is bone on bone but I ride regularly ant a brisk pace. Somedays I can hardly walk but I can ride with minimum pain. I also have limited range of motion and get pain and swelling from just standing to long. When you get a bike or exercise bike make sure you get one with cranks short enough that you can comfortably do a complete circle.

(Mike Glasbrener) #6

I used to ride a regular bike a ton and am desperately working to get back toward that level. I would try a regular type of stationary bike and build a base. If your gym has spin classes you once you can ride for 45 minutes or so you could try them. It feels a little awkward the first time you try them because they seem “clubby”. But that’s because if you have a good instructor then people will attend on a regular basis and it becomes a social workout with each person following the instructor according to their own fitness level.

Edit: oh so true that good spin bikes are very expensive. A good one even on eBay is over $1k.

(betsy.rome) #7

I’ve never tried those upright spin bikes, was always told I should use recumbent for knee issues. Do the spin ones put pressure directly on knees?

(Mike Glasbrener) #8

No. But they allow more muscle engagement as you advance in level. It will put more stress on your back and arms. Of course some basic balance is also required… If it had a traditional saddle (seat) your butt will be sore. But that will pass after several rides. If you can ride an upright one then you can join a spin class when you’re ready. They’re a great way to get HIIT and the group thing can be awesome once you’ve gone to a few classes and get comfortable. But I’d wait till you can comfortably ride 45 minutes.

(eat more) #9

you could also do kettlebell swings, medicine ball slams, modified jumping jacks (no jumping), maybe high knees? (marching in place without jumping or hard stomping), windmills, shadow boxing, etc with no negative impact on joints (with proper form)

HIIT doesn’t have to be “traditional cardio” based (biking, running, jumping, etc)…just has to get heart rate up and down and up again…and down (you get the idea) versus steady state heart rate :slight_smile:

if you google “no impact HIIT training” (or low), there are programs you can do at home…or just get inspiration and do the exercises that you feel are the most beneficial and fun :blush:

(Jacquie) #10

I had knee surgery (not a TKR) for a dislocated patellae and a large sub-chondral fracture many years ago and used a good elliptical machine for HIIT. I still use it for HIIT and do a 30/30 after a warm up of a couple of minutes. BTW, I’m much older than you. :wink: I found this information and thought you might be interested in her blog.

(Jason Fletcher) #11

If you are untrained and have not exercise you would be best sticking with something less intense. HIIT is great but with your knees and arthritis I would not suggest doing it you would just chance injuring yourself and setting things way back. HIIT training is good to supplement 2 times a week for individuals with a solid workout program. If you have not thought about it or have not done it i would try to incorporate weight lifting. I am not sure of the extent of your limits do to your overall joint health and mobility so you would have to use your best judgment or even consult with a physical therapist. If done properly you would be able to strengthen the muscles surrounding the joints this will increase mobility. IF you have limited space and limited access to a gym. Getting a few sets of dumbbells or power blocks (they are adjustable and save space) and adjustable incline bench. With this you would be able to do about every muscle group. Now i know your focus is to drop 15 pounds but focusing on building strength right now would be most beneficial. Plus you want to try to set your goal for body fat% not weight. You can use the navy method this just takes a few simple measurements or even a dexa (cost prohibited most times). Or device like a Sculpt is not bad. This way you will be able to increase muscle mass and not freak out if the scale is not going down. Once you become trained with the dumbbells you will be able to use them in what they call super sets. This has the same idea as HIIT but not as intense in my opinion. It is where you go from on set right to the next. For example doing a set of 10 of one arm rows right into doing reverse flys then rest. I believe before you start implementing super sets you will see a massive improvement in body composition and strength just with implementing workouts with use of the dumbbells plus a well formulated keto diet. Plus when implemented properly you will lower risk of injury from falls and broken bones in the future.

(Jacquie) #12

I got PowerBlock years ago after my knee injury and it was a great investment. Went from running to weight training which was the best thing I could have done, especially being older now and wanting to avoid sarcopenia at any cost. Got a Sculpt a few years back and it’s worked out well, too. Great suggestions.
:slight_smile:

(Jason Fletcher) #13

Wow that’s cool. Your living proof.

(Jacquie) #14

I like to think so. :smile:

Ya like @Jason_Fletcher pointed out perhaps HIIT is not the best fit for your situation. Hit the weights and you will improve a lot of things.

One thing re: cardio that hasn’t been mentioned yet is the rowing machine, so if your gym has one of those, definitely check it out. Should be good with your knee:
http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/testimonials/category/low-impact
http://www.c2forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10610

(Jason Fletcher) #16

I have owned a concept 2 rower myself for about 20 years now.:+1: