Higher glucose over previous years

(Robin) #22

I’m glad you could share all this. Glad you know to be kind to yourself and give yourself some time to just get through all this. No reason to beat yourself up over food right now.Just keep on keeping on.:vulcan_salute:

@EZB, I’m so sorry you and your family had to go and are still going through so much! I think the stress could count for a lot of the results you’re experiencing. Stress and lack of sleep that I’m guessing must be going together. In my short time with the CGM, I could do a few tests and it definitely had an effect on me. Perhaps you’re like me and it also affects you.

Stress, lack of sleep and exercise send my glucose up. Lack of proper sleep has an effect over the whole day: more ups and downs than when I sleep better. I’ve already found many scientific papers that show many of us have the same bad outcomes with stress and/or lack of sleep.

I’m rooting that your life becomes the best it can be and that as a result, your numbers get all better.

(Ethan) #24

He’d said some things that I found problematic, but there may be something here. I went back to alternate-day eating Monday, and my glucose levels immediately went back to normal. Instead of always being over 100, with values of 130-140 in the morning, it’s now in the 80s at night and 110-120 in the morning. Perhaps it is too much high fat for too long…

(Ethan) #25

Down 5 pounds this week. I really need to explore this more

I’m happy for you that you’ve been seeing positive changes, @EZB!

Please, would you explain what exactly you’ve done? What do you mean by alternate days? You’ve added proteins, or carbs? Or just decreased the fat and added nothing to replace those calories? I want to try what you’re doing to see if my glucose goes down. So, every other day you eat less fat? Or more carbs? Or both things? I really want to try this. Thank you in advance!

(Ethan) #27

I am eating only on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday. On those days, I eat from 7:30 am to 5:30 pm. On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, I am fasting. I used to do this a lot, and it worked well. When I fast like that, I find I actually eat less on the eating days, too.

Thank you, I’ll do the same and see how it goes. I’ve tried a longer fast and it didn’t help. Perhaps because my glucose jumps when I move, not when I eat.

But I’ll try the alternate days like you’ve described. I hope it works for me, too.

(Ethan) #29

Let me know how it goes.

(Joey) #30

I generally find Dr Cywes’s videos to be “spot on target” and consistent with the more credible research I’ve read independently. As a result, I find that most of his emphatic pronouncements - intended for those who can’t be bothered to read research for themselves - tend to be science-based.

But this “fat cycling” thing is not supported by any research I can locate. Anyone else find support for this?

He goes totally didactic in making this claim about cycling in and out of higher fat and lower fat eating throughout a given week of eating. The only rationale I heard him provide was “C’mon man!

Until I can better understand why some days of the week my body needs lean meats and some days of the week my same body needs fatter meats, I’ll remain skeptical of this particular slice of advice from Dr. Cywes - who remains an otherwise reliable source of dietary guidance. :thinking:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #31

We do know that the energy needs of the body vary from day to day, and not always in accordance with the energy expenditure each day. (The match over seven or eight days has, however, been shown to be surprisingly precise.)

Personally, I’d rather go with my appetite than try to schedule this sort of thing. I do have days when I’m hungrier for fat, and days when I want less, and I try to listen to what my body is telling me.

In this, as in all things nutrition-related, it is sometimes difficult to distinguish between an expert’s best, informed guess in the absence of data, and real, data-driven knowledge. And it is difficult to transmit the expert’s initial hesitancy and caveats down the chain. A tentative guess quickly gets passed on as hard fact.

(Joey) #32

Once one’s sense of appetite is properly attuned, this is sage advice we should all heed.

(Linda ) #33

But with cywes it’s when he sees the blood work changing but maybe his patients are not changing things up…what I like about him is he doesn’t tell us to do something he isn’t trying him self…
He doesn’t have all the answers on this and openly admits it but he is willing to try things to see if he can produce results to turn our blood work around his cycling fats produced results so he passing it on.

(Joey) #34

I’m a Cywes fan. But I remain skeptical of the rationale behind this “fat cycling” advice - as he offers none.

Whether it’s relevant for any particular individual given their metabolic circumstances is also entirely unclear. Perhaps it’s just his narrow guidance for a special case he sees? And if it “works” that’s great.

I’ve forgotten to update you. I didn’t try for long, because my glucose didn’t go down on the first fasting day.

In the meantime, I’ve started eating more carbs and it is working for me at the moment. We’re all different, so I’m not saying it would work for everyone, but for me, increasing the carbs seems to be it. I’m trying to figure out the minimum carbs I can eat to keep my BG below 100 mg/dL. It’s too early to say, because I only eat one meal a day, so I’ll need many days to find out, experiment with different amount of carbs, see how low on carbs I can go and still keep my glucose below 100.

(Ethan) #36

Are you a T2 diabetic? If not, your experience matches with Paul Saladino’s thoughts. I am diabetic, so carbs won’t work.

Interesting. Yes, please keep us posted on how you are doing with your BG.

(Joey) #38

It know it’s awkward to quote oneself, but I’ll share an update on that Dr. Cywes video I struggled with concerning “fat cycling.” The idea still makes zero sense to me - and he offers no support for his confused claims.

Still, I was really taken aback by the extent to which it got this guy riled up…

Warning: If you don’t want to hear vulgarity and ad hominen attacks, definitely skip this clip.

Though not my style, it validated my initial reaction that Cywes had wandered into La-La-Land on this topic.

Which, in turn, after watching many more Cywes episodes, leaves me doubting “The Carb Addiction Doc” (self-appointed) on certain other topics where he seems to make little sense.

For an MD/PhD who makes such unequivocal pronouncements, it would help his credibility if he started sharing some supporting science. Haven’t seen any yet.

As for higher glucose, I remain unconvinced that “cycling” higher fat days with lower fat days will solve any problem that might need to be solved in the first place if you’re not eating carbs - which remain completely unnecessary (and potentially harmful) to human health.

I’m not diabetic. But my fasting blood glucose is in the prediabetic range, so, if I don’t do something, it’s just a matter of when.

I’ve managed to bring my 7 day average glucose from 114 to 103. Time will tell if that’s real, or just lucky days. The 30 days came down to 110. So, it is trending down.

I’ve increased carbs up to 60g on a few days, changed to 2MAD and changed the fat source to mainly fish. It’s too early to say this is real, but I’m hopeful.

What I think it’s been more important than the food: instead of running 10-12k, I’m only doing 5-6k and only at 9-9.5 km/h. I’m also doing more walking than running. When I walk, I do about 10 to 15 sprints. I continue to do aerobic exercise most days. I also do body weight, but a lot less, say 2 times a week for a short time.

So, I’ve decreased the length and speed of my high intensity and I’ve increased the length of my low intensity.

I’m not taking medication yet.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #41

Maybe I or someone else has already posted this link somewhere, but in case not here it is:

Does a healthy ketogenic diet cause irreversible insulin resistance?