High Protein Modified "Keto + Fasting" muscle building with low fat

(Karim Wassef) #161

The idea of running a low physiological stress is good, but it ends up being part of a cycle… that’s the “can’t walk into the same river twice” effect.

Running a low stress cycle after a high stress cycle is different than just running low stress. The change is more impactful that the new state. It would take two periods: one to acclimate and then another to test… so maybe 12 weeks.

Unfortunately, I am embarking on a new journey (more to come) starting this morning. That’s only going to completely mess with all my stressors :slight_smile:

On that note - here’s a new learning:

If you want to reduce stress, think of all the things you would NOT do if you’re being chased by a lion… and do them.

So… sleeping outside in the sun and wind
Taking long deep breaths calmly
Playing with kids or pets
Make up your own… but the rule is simple

(mole person) #162

Yay! Hugs :two_hearts::tulip::sunflower:

(Karim Wassef) #163

Pre-workout 63G, 0.6K

Just one big ab in the middle… :joy:

I tried the 10x10 on bicep curls today. It was ok but I can’t really tell if it’s better. Maybe the weight was too light.

Then I did cable delt raises and bent over cable delt raises.

Post workout 85G, 0.3K

(mole person) #164

Too my eyes you’re looking leaner than a couple of months ago.

(Karim Wassef) #165

Thank you. :smile:

I think so too. My waist is tapering in more and my shoulders are filling out.

Kids constantly complaining that I’m not as squishy as I used to be… they prefer squishy since I make a better pillow while watching cartoons.

Also, the bicep veins I haven’t seen since college are coming in nicely. More vascular firearms and hands too.

(mole person) #166

Yah, I’ve actually thought it for a while but didn’t want to jump the gun since pics can sometimes be deceiving. But I was going through your last thread yesterday and I’m positive there is a consistent difference.

You’re looking really great, the hard work is paying off.

(Karim Wassef) #167

Thank you. It’s nice to hear the pain is visible.

That sounds wrong but you know what I mean :smiley:

(Mario) #168

you might read the link once more. 10x10 on bicep is not exactly what you need:

Exercise Selection. You’ll want to stick to major compound exercises (i.e. multi-joint movements that work several muscles or muscle groups simaltaneously) when devising a GVT program. We’re looking at maximum impact on the body from each exercise (since there will be so few exercises in the program). Exercises like squats, deadlifts, rows, military press are all good choices. Avoid isolation exercises like the bicep curl or calf raise.

here they have only 75sec rest, i would make it 90sec:

(Karim Wassef) #169

good point. I was experimenting

(Karim Wassef) #170

so after 8 days, I see a pattern for high protein low fat … its looking good for fat loss but bad for lean loss/gain:

(Karim Wassef) #171

if I were to stop now, it would look like this:

which looks dangerously like non-keto weight loss…

I think my “high caloric deficit + low fat intake + hunger + short window of high ketosis” even feels like SAD dieting. The primary function of my high protein was to spare lean mass but it doesn’t look to be working.

(Karim Wassef) #172

So there’s a couple of possibilities:

1. The scale data is garbage and I should wait two more weeks for the official DEXA test.

1. The data is an accurate representation of what’s happening and I need to change something.

If it’s bad data - I can make a couple of changes:

2a. Increase fat from the average of ~75g to 125g. That would increase my average caloric intake from ~1750 to 2200. I like this option. :smiley:

2b. Increase protein from 240g to 300g. That would increase my caloric intake from 1750 to 2000. Not so excited about this option.

2c. Keep macros the same but eat 2MAD. I do not like this at all.

2d. Keep macros the same but move my lifting timing to be immediately before I eat.

Ok… ready, set, vote :smiley:

(Tony ) #173

I was given a sports DNA test, the results - I’m not particularly good at growing muscles, (wrong genetic muscle make up ) and the recommendation was high reps and lower weights. It seems to work for me.
This might be the way for you to go ( and check your testosterone levels too ). I do carry some good muscle and look the part. Like you I’m doing the keto fat/protein balancing act. I’m aged 69, so I would say age ( depending on the genetics ) has a small only effect on muscle building…

(Karim Wassef) #174

thanks Tony. care to vote on a course of action?

(Tony ) #175

Hey Karim, I’ve always got plenty to say ( I’m called the Keto Food Na$i down my local gym ). I’m completely convinced about Keto. I need to go back through every one of the posts in this thread before I throw additional bits in. I do admire your very scientific analytical approach !

(Little Miss Scare-All) #176

I vote for 2c :smiling_imp:

(Karim Wassef) #177

votes based on evil intent don’t count… LOL

(Tony ) #178

Okay, I also go for 2c, like x-Dena-x !
I think you need a small dietary reset.
(I also like the idea of 2d , with early morning training because frequently when doing that I don’t feel like eating at all, after or I only want to eat whey/protein )

(Karim Wassef) #179

so why 2MAD?

(Tony ) #180

I might have missed it somewhere, but how’s your belt hole test going - that is you need to get new holes punched into your belt so that you can tighten it. (In my case my weight has been stable-ish for some time, but I have to put new holes in my belt every few months - my gut is reducing but the muscles increasing to keep my weight stable) and of course the “popping” veins effect, because the fats going and the muscles growing. Very unscientific but quite relevant.