140.4 -> 138.8 lean (lost 1.6)
39.8 -> 38.0 fat (lost 1.8)

So now fat loss is 53% of total and I’ve lost 1.2lbs more… so much noise

(Karim Wassef) #122

fat prediction on point
lean mass off during the pseudo-fast

(Karim Wassef) #123

Pre-meal: 75G, 1.4K

That’s aligned with a fasted state again.

(Little Miss Scare-All) #124

Happy Friday!!!

(Karim Wassef) #125

You too. Pool day tomorrow!

(Little Miss Scare-All) #126

Is it a community pool or in your yard?

(Karim Wassef) #127

I just… can’t… do… any… more… pea protein powder porridge!

The volume of plant material needed to equal one steak is just insane! I have consumed three large bowls of the stuff and while they taste ok… it’s just too much. 250g of protein powder mush is exhausting.

(Karim Wassef) #128

It’s a community pool but such a nice one and the community is small so there’s usually no one else.

(Little Miss Scare-All) #129

Look at all you do in the name of data-collecting. Though much of it goes over my head, I hella appreciate you here and I try to learn new things from your threads.

I cant even imagine eating that amount of pea porridge :rofl:

(Mario) #130

did you ever think about the quality of your workouts? i can watch over and over your data, but it seems, i miss something.

(Karim Wassef) #131

What do you mean? The count of sets, reps, volume, time?

(Mario) #132

lets try it in a simple way: do you get stronger?

(Karim Wassef) #133

it depends.

chest and legs are stronger
back is about the same (because of my lower back injury)
arms and shoulders weaker (because I can’t lift as much due to the shoulder / bicep injury)

If I look at muscle, I see progression. But joints and tendons slow me down… age…

(Karim Wassef) #134

I think the lean mass measurement is just as susceptible to hydration change as fat mass.

It may be inflammation, glycogen x water volume, or just plain dehydration? I’m just unconvinced that I can lose real lean mass that fast… 1.6lbs in 4 days. Especially consuming so much protein and lifting daily…

Doesn’t compute

(Mario) #135

you might consider less weight and more sets with more time. that would also mean, more time to recover! i am 45, i know what you are talking about.

something like that:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/health-fitness/body/german-volume-training-best-training-regime-increasing-muscle/

(Karim Wassef) #136

Thanks. I’ll look at it.

My work requires a lot of time. That’s why my lifts are short and intense.

(Karim Wassef) #137

To do a 10x10, Id have to only do one exercise per day and even then, I’d have to do 3 minute sets including rest to be done in 30mins. If 1.5min is rest, then it’s 9 seconds per rep. It goes contrary to my slow eccentrics for time under tension.

I’d have to double my total lift time, cut the weight and focus on just one exercise a day. That’s a lot of change :smile:

I might give it a shot for a week and see.

(Mario) #138

give it more time. you need at least 2-3 weeks to adapt. for first time, this routine is almost over, until you get used to it.

and after a few weeks, you start to enjoy the pain :rofl:

(mole person) #139

This has been my deep suspicion all through your experiments. I don’t think your lean mass measurements necessarily track with actual muscle tissue in any way. There are just too many variables changing too often and I fear that you body is perpetually in an adaptation phase of the latest experiment. Also, there is always going to be some lean mass that goes as long as you are losing fat mass.

Here is why I’m so suspicious. I have an impedance scale myself. I bought it shortly after I began keto and right when I began CrossFit, which was the most intense exercise I’d ever done in my life. The numbers it generated were completely mad seeming for over six weeks before fat and lean both started going in the right direction. I think when we make radical changes to diet or exercise our body has hormonal and inflammatory responses that can last weeks and throw the results of these tests into complete uselessness since any small change in muscle tissue can be completely swamped by the weight changes from other lean sources and fat loss can be hindered by the stresses of the changes.

I really think you should be judging your muscle changes by strength. Lean mass is so noisy that it’s very possibly useless for your purposes and yet actual strength changes are easy to track.

(Karim Wassef) #140

DEXA gives me some confidence and I make those measurements every 3-4 weeks which should be enough to capture real change.

In the interim, I need some way to gauging directionality but it doesn’t really cause a shift in my behavior.

The extended fast was 4 weeks long
The cyclic fast was 3 weeks long
Carnivore was 7 weeks long

I only ran the numbers on the protein cycle wheb you asked :wink: but I knew it was too short to make sense.