1/2 teaspoon pink salt
2 tablespoons ACV (start with 1 maybe)
1 tablespoon ginger juice
3 tablespoons HWC
2 squirts of Stevia

(Little Miss Scare-All) #542

Just popping in. You in Jersey yet?

(Karim Wassef) #543

Been in NJ for two weeks. This is my third week.

I like the countryside but not used to the twisty turny roads. Texas has straight roads so it takes a minute to adjust.

Weather is nice but I am not looking forward to the winter. :slight_smile:

I’ve been eating ok. Mostly carnivore + almonds … darn addiction. No real focus on lifting except on weekends. No gain or loss of muscle or fat.

(Karim Wassef) #544

Thanks for asking :smile:

(Little Miss Scare-All) #545

Awwwww we’re state mates!! Yeah the roads up there are twisty and turny af. I’m not used to that down here being closer to the city.

Have you been to the Shoprite yet? Lol

(Karim Wassef) #546

Yes. It’s not nice. At least some of them are not…

(Little Miss Scare-All) #547

Nah the ones up there aren’t at all. Awwwww we’ve been to the same exact crap Shoprite :black_heart::black_heart:

(Kristen Ann) #548

You’re addicted to almonds??

(Karim Wassef) #549

Yes… just like carboholics are addicted to carbs, I love my almonds and it takes great willpower to say no.

I can stay away for weeks but then if I indulge in a few, the dam breaks and I can finish a bag of them. Especially the salted savory ones. They’re my “potato chip” or “Cheetos” equivalent from my pre-keto days but so much better.

I call it an addiction because I don’t really need it and when it’s available, I can hear it calling to me from the kitchen (metaphorically)… reminding me of that delicious crunchiness and saltiness and savoriness (is that a word?)

And after I indulge, I usually feel guilt in the quantity consumed and promise to have more self control. The desire isn’t for almonds as a food - it’s almonds as a pleasure.

So… yes - almonds are my vice.

(Neil) #550

I mean, as far as vices go, that has to be one of the healthier ones I’ve heard. At least your vice isn’t fudge. :smiley:

(PJ) #551

I wonder if the salt’s related.

(Susan) #552

This is what I am thinking too –

What about trying to replace them with Pickles or Olives (both are also salty but are much lower in carbs and calories).

(Karim Wassef) #553

My DEXA results today were not good. In three weeks of carnivore, almonds and minimal weightlifting, I’ve lost 8lbs of lean and gained 5lbs of fat.

This is an example of losing 3lbs of weight and it’s absolutely awful.

My new lifestyle is clearly not compatible with my goals.

:frowning:

(PJ) #554

The back of my brain is wondering how it’s possible to eat almost nothing but animal flesh, get normal exercise AND lift weights (even if not with crazy dedication), and lose muscle and get fat from it.

Not lifting weights ‘enough’ or ‘had some almonds now and then’, gimme a break.

If this approach to eating and exercise was mass-destroying fat-inducing, 97% of our population would be morbidly obese by now. The number is nowhere near that high.

Because combined, that’s basically 4.25# of awful every week for three weeks.

I’m sorry for the awful result. :frowning:

This is mostly increasing my skepticism about clarity on {non-organ/muscle} mass, water (esp inside adipose), and DEXA scans, though. :roll_eyes:

PJ

I remember reading somewhere that Dexa scans can be quite inconsistent and many errors can be made during the entire process, so maybe that could be the reason?

(mole person) #556

Yup. This is exactly how I’ve felt for a while now. I think we are mostly just seeing a lot of margins of error.

(Karim Wassef) #557

Thanks for the support.

I will say that I do feel it and I can see it. Even if the numbers aren’t absolutely correct, it is directionally correct. To maintain muscle mass at my age, I need to lift daily.

It’s as if I’m pushing a boulder uphill… the moment I stop pushing it up, it’ll push me down. My body wants to return to a different set point.

When I say I ate some almonds, I do mean a bag a day :slight_smile: so… that’s carbs too when you get to that extreme. :joy:

As usual, I’m disappointed but not discouraged. It does indicate the necessity of getting into a healthier life routine.

(PJ) #558

I guess there is just this part of me that feels like the point of “using the muscles so the body knows not to eat them” is simply USING them. It shouldn’t have to be a bloody triathalon daily “or your muscles get eaten.” You are not 114. Hell even at 114 nobody should lose mass that fast. And you were eating A LOT of protein.

I feel like if you’re wasting away when you’re eating more than enough food and high protein, maybe there is something going on besides your macronutrients.

And you have to admit, you had a vacation which is a wildly different lifestyle temporarily, different food, then you’ve had three weeks away from your family in a brand new job/focus, I’m tempted to say that the ‘changing it up’ and some extra cortisol is probably contributing to the mix.

Anyway, here is hoping you get back into a consistent pattern of some kind and it resolves.

(mole person) #559

Actually in this case I agree. If you are eating a ton more fatty, carby almonds and your workouts have significantly dropped then real changes would ensue.

I have similar addiction issues. I’m finding a great deal of success with only eating fatty beef until I return to my baseline. When my mind believes that my diet is only fat beef and salt it stops trying to trick me.

(Little Miss Scare-All) #560

Sorry bout your DEXA results, homes.