High Protein Modified "Keto + Fasting" muscle building with low fat

(Karim Wassef) #421

High protein doesn’t kick me out of ketosis but it’s complicated.

It does increase blood glucose and trigger a short spike of insulin.

The purpose of this experiment was to look for ways to maintain or increase lean mass while losing fat mass. I am much more concerned with muscle gains than fat loss. I lose fat easily but always with lean mass loss.

(Karim Wassef) #422

Thanks for representin’!! :slight_smile:

Yes. This is the wild side of keto adjacent experimentation.

(PJ) #423

Karim is a walking experiment. :smiley:

Looks great dude! So glad you’re having fun!!

(Karim Wassef) #424

Missed a day of measuring my weight but they finally found one…

Very old and very analog… but I can convert kg to lbs… so without knowing a baseline, this one is reading ~172lbs…

If true, I’ve lost 3 lbs in two days… but no reference to tell

(Karim Wassef) #425

Today’s meals were very carnivore again but with more fat - some plates had veggies but I set those aside, even the onions in the fajitas. Only veggie content is my morning coffee with ACV and Stevia.

The last is just one course of a Brazilian restaurant multi-meat meal: prosciutto, cheese, smoked salmon, chorizo, beef, pork, calamari, chicken, turkey & bacon, more pork…

(Karim Wassef) #426

Interesting observation - my ketones AND glucose are consistently higher. Might be the additional exertion of being on the reef from 9am to 5pm each day…

It’s around 85G, 0.5K compared to my usual 75G, 0.3K before.

(Karim Wassef) #427

I’ve gone two days in the Caribbean sun now with no sunscreen and I haven’t gotten burnt.

I’m tan complected but I’ve burnt every year we’ve come - at least the first two days - until my skin is adjusted. This isn’t intentional and I used to use gobs of lotion and sprays to try and prevent it.

This is the first year on keto in Cancun and I am feeling fine. I am wearing a sunguard for most of the day but take it off for a couple of hours… that’s my usual burn reduction protocol and it helps a bit - but this time, I’m not burning anywhere. :smiley:

I think it’s that I’m minimizing PUFAs - but that’s just my opinion. We have 9 more days to go so we’ll see how the Cancun 3-MAD protein carnivore experiment goes.

6am

(Susan) #428

Awesome, I am glad you are enjoying your holiday with your family =).

(Little Miss Scare-All) #429

I’m gonna crash your vacay.

(Karim Wassef) #430

Today I was hungrier than usual…

And 85g of almonds to boot!

(Little Miss Scare-All) #431

Those breakfast sausages look soooooo good. :heart_eyes:

A wonderful palette of deliciousness :slight_smile:

(PJ) #433

Today’s a fasting day and all your awesome meat plates are makin me drool! :smiley:

So glad you’re having fun. Really interesting about the lack of sunburn! (Although sheesh, your complexion is dark enough you wouldn’t think it would be a big issue. Maybe it really IS more about PUFA and nutrients than melanin! Who knew?!) Are you getting a lot of exercise? Do you think that’s what increasing the blood numbers?

(Karim Wassef) #434

The very top tips of my ears are a little red but still not burning.

I am tan but I’ve burnt every year even with caution and lotion… so this is great.

Lots of exercise - yes. Wifey and daughters are beach bums most of the time. This means daddy has to carry, pull, push all three. Wifey has a giant inflatable orange chair that needs to be pulled around wherever the fish are. She’ll look down - that’s about it. :smile:

Youngest is 8 and sees me as a seahorsey and needs to be carried all over the water… occasionally crying about the salt spray but insisting she’s having fun.

Oldest is 12 and she’ll actually come snorkeling on the reef with me… she puts the effort in but she also gets jealous of the 8 year old and wants to be babied… so I do horseyback rides with 105lb pre-teen sometimes… also - occasionally inherits wifey’s “carefree” genes where I need to play tugboat and pull her all over the place on her inflatable chair.

Yesterday, she wanted me to carry her in my arms and walk down the beach for “exercise”…I lasted about 40 feet … she’s 105lbs! Her argument is that I lost 95lbs so this should feel about the same as normal walking a few years ago… darn logic! She’s a talker all right.

So tons of exercise… if I had to make a bet, I’d say closer to 4000 calories a day from 6am to 6pm… and my body is fueling it with glucose and ketones. I am trying to stay as carnivore as possible (darn almonds yesterday) and keep my protein up.

To be fair, some of these activities are very HIIT. We saw a school of Atlantic blue tangs and needed to keep up. There was no option to take a breath or they’d be out of sight. So it was literally “flight” from fight or flight… chest burning, arms on fire… legs nearly numb from the exertion… and we kept that up for nearly 5 minutes all out.

(Karim Wassef) #435

(Karim Wassef) #436

That was a black barracuda… maybe 3ft long, on the other side of a barrier net (meant to keep sargassum seaweed out)

(Fish jumping around looking for food from visitors- aka stale bread)

(More fish feeding)

More exercise …

(Karim Wassef) #437

This morning’s measurements were 100G, 0.4K

I don’t think I’ve ever seen glucose that high with anything over 0.1K or 0.2K…

So my body is very much in a high adrenaline state… excitement, not stress.

Also - wifey reminds me that I get a few cuts and bruises daily doing this stuff… so there’s that. :wink:

(Mame) #438

I am so enjoying your pictures and details about your vacation! Also admiring your initiative to post while on vacation. So, so interesting.

Looks like you are giving your body a nice shake up. No homeostasis stalling out for you!!

(PJ) #439

I don’t know why but I’m kind of in love with this fish

For a reef nut like you this place must be the bomb!

Stories about the fam – hilarious!

Reminds me of ‘riding’ gator-dad’s shoulders in the motel swimming pools when I was about four-five (we traveled around the country a couple times, like when we moved from southern CA to NE OK – ‘by way of’ Oregon and NM lol). He was required to make a constant blowing-out-in-water sound as he swam me around the pool. I could have done that for hours. He tended to tired of it hahaha.

This morning’s measurements were 100G, 0.4K
I don’t think I’ve ever seen glucose that high with anything over 0.1K or 0.2K…

I went back on diuretic Torsemide day before yesterday (sigh, had to) – my average BG has been 85 – but yesterday for example, after a full day of it the day before, my BG was up again to 108. My K though was 2.0. Fasted yesterday so hopefully G will be down today!

PJ

(Susan) #440

All the pictures you are posting from your holiday are beautiful.