High keytone levels, but feel great

(Rebecca) #1

Hi, I am a 54 year old female who is an active runner but am 30 pounds overweight. have been on the keto diet for a little over 2 weeks now, and I feel great, am never hungry, and have lost 7 - 8 pounds already. My concern is that according to my urinalysis ketone test strips, I am always at about 8 ketone, which is apparently not optimal and is too high. I am keeping my carbs at 30 grams, my fats at 108 grams, and my protein at 86 grams, which percentage wise is 8% carbs, 68% fats, and 24% protein, which was recommended to me because I am a runner. Should I increase my amount of carbs? Is this high level dangerous for me? I am not diabetic.

I appreciate any help I can get, as I am new to this!

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #2

You’re doing fine. Those ketone levels are more targeted for Type 1 Diabetics. High ketone levels along with high glucose levels are dangerous for them. Honestly, in the beginning most people switching over to a ketogenic diet will show high urine ketones. Unless you have medical conditions (like Type 1 Diabetes) or your doctor has said otherwise, you don’t need to stress about them.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #3

You are producing ketones, stop using urine strips and trust the process. If you are staying under 20 carbs daily and you haven’t dropped dead after a couple of days you are in ketosis. The high levels you are urinating out just mean you are spilling ketones because your body hasn’t figured out how to make and use the proper amounts yet. As you continue those levels of wasted ketones will drop. Hydration also has a huge affect on urine ketone levels. If you drank more water the result would be a lighter color. They aren’t even designed for a ketogenic diet although the companies that manufacture them are probably happy that 20x as many people buy them now because of the KETO Diet, there just is a limited number of T1 people out there. I have never tested once at home. I get regular urinalysis and it usually shows trace ketones because I am totally fat adapted and my body just produces enough ketones for my needs.

(Rebecca) #4

Thanks to you both. I feel great, and am losing weight for the first time in 2 years. I will stick with it.