High ketones after fasting, will you still lose weight

(Jill Lothian) #1

Hi everyone I am new to keto and this is my fourth week. I am having tea around 7.30pm and then not feeling like eating until 2pm my ketones are always above 3 in starvation mode which says you can’t lose weight you hold onto it?? so much conflicting information. Can anyone clear it up? Thanks

(Sarah ) #2

Drink more water. Going without eating for a few hours is not starving. Keep eating to your macros and fullness, and if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Are you feeling sick or run down? Are you on the right path, as far as meeting g your goals?

(Jill Lothian) #3

Thanks for your reply Sarah. I am keeping well and my blood glucose is in single figures. I am drinking 2-3 litres a day struggle to drink anymore than this. I am going from 7pm until 2pm the next day so its more than a few hours.

Thanks

(Allie) #4

Starvation mode in keto is BS and I wish people would stop repeating it.

(Allie) #5

(Jill Lothian) #6

Thanks you!! I have been stressing over this. So much conflicting info out there.

(Allie) #7

Don’t stress, you’re doing fine :heart:

(Andrew) #8

Blood Ketones? You are doing it perfectly. Have another(?) BPC and you can go to OMAD nearly. Good work for a month.

(Jill Lothian) #9

Yes my blood ketones are sitting at about 3.6-4.1.

Thanks

(Allie) #10

That’s really good! :blush:

(Jennifer) #11

I know it says starvation on this image, but high ketones can be a sign of dehydration. Ketones get a bit concentrated when you are dehydrated so the readings are higher.

ketone zone

(momzbusy2012) #12

I thought that dehydration issues is for urine sticks, not blood ketones. My blood ketones were at an all time high of 5.0 on the evening of my 4th day of fasting so I was concerned until I saw the scale this morning. :grin::grin::grin::grin:

(Allie) #13

I’m sure the dehydration thing only applies with the pee sticks, just another thing that makes them unreliable.

(Jennifer) #14

Dehydration effects both pee sticks and blood. With both, less water means the ketones are more concentrated so the readings are higher.

(Jill Lothian) #15

I am drinking nearly 3L is that not enough?

(Allie) #16

Are you thirsty?

(Jill Lothian) #17

No not at all

(Allie) #18

Then you’re drinking enough

(Sarah ) #19

also look at that chart. Its someones attempt (a well educated source, but just a person none the less) to determine an “optimal” zone, where your metabolism is humming along, and correlate that with the number of ketones in your blood. This is a range, and its aimed at populations of people, not at individuals. Most of us have things we are more “normal” at, and things we are “one offs”. The chart is correct that when ketones get higher and higher, its because the cells are starving for energy and the body is trying to help by giving them fat energy (ketones)- but that line where the chart goes from green to yellow, does not mean that your body has suddenly failed. You are at least presumably somewhat fat adapted, so you should be making ketones (and using them). Thats the way it should be.

(Jennifer) #20

I just mentioned that it could be a sign of dehydration and something to watch. Some people seem to run high numbers not sure why.