High ketone level in urine

newbies

(Tarathon Panichluxsapong) #1

I’m weight 85kg, height 168cm
Normally I only eat 1 big meal a day, and my weight doesn’t decrease.
Maybe I’m eating too less and my metabolism is damaged

I’m starting keto 3 days ago and on the second day, I fell so bad sleepy, dizziness.
My food mostly cut out the carbs less than 10g a day.
So I test my urine and the result is somewhere between 50-100mg/dl (colour does not exactly match both but in between)

Now I feel okay no more dizziness just worry about the ketones in my urine.

Thank you.

(VLC.MD) #2

More urine ketones the better.
Try more salt for the dizziness.

(Donna ) #3

Yes, agree with @VLC.MD about adding salt for the dizziness.

Also, drink more water. Sometimes a high reading on urine strips is just dehydration, which I suspect is your problem.

You want some ketones in your urine. You want to be in ketosis. But, you also need salt and water to keep your blood pressure up and stay feeling well. NuSalt is half sodium and half potassium.

You may also want to look into a magnesium supplement at night, to ward off leg cramps.

Congrats for starting the Keto way of life! :smiley:

KCKO

(VLC.MD) #4

Great point. I am going to suggest that more often.
I know when I was fasting I didn’t drink enough and I made the pee strips more black than purple.

(Rossi Luo) #5

To be honest, I don’t think drinking more water can lower the ketone level. My urine ketone level is sky high all the time (dark purple color), and I am a water lover, every day I drink green tea and water for at least 2 L, but my urine ketone is still sky high. I’m not sure if it’s a bad thing to have too high urine ketone level, if someone knows, please kindly point it out to me, thanks.
By the way, I’m 162cm and 65KG now, 10KG lost after keto.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

Ketones in the urine are being excreted, so they are not useable by the body. However, it does suggest that your liver is making plenty of ketones. Most people find that, past a certain point, their urinary ketone level drops considerably, as the liver gets better at matching production to demand, and the kidneys get better at removing ketones from the urine. But some people simply continue with high readings on their urine sticks. It doesn’t seem to be a problem.

(Rossi Luo) #7

Thanks PauIL, it’s good know that.
If we have too much blood sugar in our blood and urine, it was called diabetics, and it will damage the kidney because the kidney is responsible to remove the blood sugar in the blood. I was just guessing without science proof that, if we have too much ketones in our blood and urine, would that damage kidney too? I don’t know, it’s just an guess.