High keto levels problem

newbies
fasting
extendedfast

Am I reading that right as 16 and not 1.6?

I wouldn’t expect ketone levels over 6 mmol during a fast. If it is 16 there may be something strange going on. Ketoacidosis is associated with high glucose levels in addition to elevated ketones, but I wouldn’t take any chances.

The symptoms you are experiencing are an indication you should stop the fast.

Extended fasts are not “stupid” if the person has enough extra body fat to support it, usually in the neighborhood of 100 lbs or more. It does require taking in adequate electrolytes and monitoring closely, preferably with doctor supervision.

(lefteris.lydios) #7

Does it look like OP is been monitored closely but decided to ask for help in a forum instead of her doctor? Or maybe constant nausea, increased heart rate all the time and weakness are all OK symptoms?

There is no such thing as “Diet”. “Diets” are all doomed to fail because in our subconscious they are finite. They start and end. Then what?

Our beautiful lady here is clearly lacking mindset for a healthy lifestyle . I would suggest Tom Venuto’s Mental Training chapter 6.

(Kanel) #8

Are you on any medication? Type 1 diabetic? Flu-like symptoms are usually because of electrolyte imbalance so make sure you’re consuming enough sodium, potassium, magnesium etc. But as always; listen to your body and if you don’t feel well - break the fast.

No, they are indication she should discontinue the fast at this time. Which is how I replied to her.

Fasting and dieting are two separate concepts. Fasting can be a part of a healthy lifestyle if implemented appropriately. Perhaps with some more information from the OP, we can suggest whether her choices are appropriate for her goals.

I do not know enough about her to judge her mindset, but calling people “stupid” is not being helpful, just rude. Please try to be less insulting and more informative.

You have done well to fast this long, but you should always listen to your body. If you start to feel unwell you should stop. As already mentioned the elevated ketones do not indicate ketoacidosis in the absence of elevated blood sugars, so no worries there. Take a break from fasting. When you feel better try fasting again. You may need to increase your length more gradually. Hope you start to feel better quickly.

(Tom Seest) #11

I always stop a fast when I feel “off” in anyway. If a fast is going well, you’ll feel really well and alert.

Just learn, and move on to fast another day.

I will note that the 3rd through 5th days can be the most challenging for individuals, so this is not uncommon. But, an elevated heart rate can have many causes; most likely an electrolyte imbalance of some sort.

(Jim Russell) #12

Yes, that was my first thought. Sounds like a sodium/potassium balance issue. Too little potassium can cause a high heart rate. Dehydration can also cause high ketones.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/472204-rapid-heart-rate-potassium/

(Ralitsa Miteva) #13

Thank you all for your answers. I went to see a doctor yesterday and I had full blood examination. It turned out that everything is perfectly fine and the problem was caused by magnesium and potassium deficit. I now take both as supplements and I also take Centrum Advance vitamines and I feel great. I am now feeling energized, no more weakness, nausea or increased heart rate. So I am hoping to feel this way all the 35 days left and accomplish the results I am aiming for. :slight_smile:

(Ralitsa Miteva) #14

No, I am not diabetic. The problem was caused exactly from electrolyte imbalance :slight_smile:

(Allie) #15

Good luck, I’m pleased you saw a doctor :slight_smile:

(Ralitsa Miteva) #16

Dear leftheris, I am not lacking mindset for a healthy lifestyle. I’ve been having healthy lifestyle all my life. The reason I am doing this is because I’ve gained a lot of weight after a heavy car crash in June last year. Before the crash I was 52kg (114.6 lbs) and January this year, before I finally start a diet I was 82kg (180.7 lbs). Being on a diet and doing physical exercices 3 times a week for 5 got me only to 72kg (158 lbs) and I didn’t feel satisfied and I didn’t feel good at all. So I’ve read a lot about the water fast and decided to start one in order to clean my body form all toxins and other bad things it has in it and, of course, to lose some weight. I think the problem I had is kinda normal having in mind that it’s my first time doing a fast and this is not a popular thing here in Bulgaria (in fact most of the people have no idea what a fast is), so you know, the information I could get was really small. So please, don’t suggest anything and don’t make conclusions on the mindset of people you don’t know. It’s not cool :wink:

(Craig) #17

Wow, 40 day water fast. Hardcore.

Assume you’ve already had a couple of months on keto to adapt your metabolism to feed off your body fat during your fast?

(lefteris.lydios) #18

Dear Ralitsa

Thank you so much for your reply.
First off I want to wish you fast recovery and happiness.

The way I see it, you are not obese. You are probably overweight but not obese (I don’t know your height).
In either case A 40 DAYS WATER FAST IS AN OVERKILL. Electrolytes, vitamines, doctors over my head you name it, I wouldn’t water fast for 40 days no matter what. I wouldn’t water fast for 40 days even with Archangel Gabriel by my side.
If you are exercising 3 days a week just forget about scale and focus on fat percentage. Has it ever occurred to you, that scale stacks or even goes up because you are gaining lean body mass?
If again this is not the case, and you eat healthy, maybe it’s a hormone issue.
Check your Insulin, Cortisol and Estrogene levels. These 3 are the demon in disguise as far as fat storage is concerned. Do you eat too often? Do you have stress problems? Are you taking birth control pills?

Finally about 40 days fasting. Since you llive in Bulgaria (I live in Athens just a few miles South) you may have met plenty of Christian Orthodox that fast for 40 days just before Easter (I think it’s called Lent fast or something). They stay away from animal products, by-products and olive oli but they definitely do not water fast. Have you ever asked anyone about the impact in mental clarity and fat loss? You will be surprised how much better they feel.

Stay away from quick fixes and unhealthy shortcuts. (Lazar Angelov may ring a bell). Fix your hormones and everything will eventually fall into place. We fix health FIRST and fat loss will follow.

I wish you best of luck

Another alternative to a long EF is cycling between shorter fasts and refeeding. This will help keep your metabolism and digestive tract in good working condition and provide essential nutrients while also lowering your insulin levels. I agree that you should get some bloodwork done for a baseline readings on insulin etc. It’s difficult to tell whether elevated insulin is a factor in your weight gain/loss.

You may also want to check out this article about how much body fat you need to sustain a fast. http://blog.2keto.com/why-fasting-is-easier-for-some-people/

And always, if you aren’t feeling well, stop the fast.

(Tim) #20

I just finished a 60 day water fast. Totally underkill. Could have gone another 20 days.

(lefteris.lydios) #21

Even though underkill is an insufficient force to defeat an enemy, congrats I know what you mean.

But for the sake of underaged obese and desparate people searching the net for quick fixes, I hope they take your post literally.

You can check out Tim’s fasting experience here: 60 Day Water Fast if you’re interested.

(lefteris.lydios) #23

thanks I’ll take a look later as long as he’s implementing exercise 3-4 days / week.

(KCKO, KCFO) #24

@Ralitsa Miteva how is it going? Still doing your water only fast?

Any new problems, or is it all good?