High Intensity Strength Training

(Karin Geertsma) #1

After years of doing some excessive exercising (7 days a week, usually 1-2 hours which included strength training, HIIT, and moderate cardio), I want to give high intensity strength training a try. I’m using the Body By Science routine and am worried about a couple things: completing the exercises with proper form and enough intensity, and going from loads of exercising to very little each week, while still making progress. Has anyone tried this workout method and seen good results? I can’t afford to hire a personal trainer to ensure I’m doing this properly, I’ll just be using my experience from the past few years to do the best I can. Any input is appreciated, thanks!

(Jacquie) #2

I have somewhat. :smile: I did BFL (Body for Life) years ago (did it lc) and got great results. Then when on to different weight training programs and HIIT. Being an ectomorph with endomorph tendencies, I found that I was susceptible to over training. Went to lifting heavy for a shorter time period and HIIT. That worked. Started BBS in 2011. Loved the program as I was able to work out with my home gym but got injured (not serious but I attribute it to bad form) and stopped for a while. Went to full body workouts. Recently came back to BBS and haven’t had a problem. I don’t go to total failure as I don’t have a spotter.

(Ross Daniel) #3

I’m doing Body By Science and what I can say is that it seems to be working for me. I use machines, so I go to complete failure, if someone had a gun to my head I couldn’t budge the load type of failure.

I notice results, but not just visually, I have to be putting on lean mass. I’m not doing anything differently with my diet, and I’ve been a steady 180-185 (I’m 6’2" for reference) for months now regardless of caloric intake. After starting BBS, my weight is starting to creep up some, I’m now basically 190 and my clothes are fitting me the same, perhaps looser in the case of pants around the waist. My arms are larger, and I seem to have more strength in general.

I can’t say I wouldn’t be making more gains doing something else. But, as far as time efficiency goes and the simple fact I hate going to the gym, I’m extremely happy with the results and will continue the routine. I’ve started to add more than just the big 5. The last time I went, I did a high row and a low row, as well as I added an ab machine to the mix as well. I want to keep my body guessing, and I’m now no longer sore a day or two later, which has been the case up until a week ago.

I always thought that DOMS = gains, I do not know if that is the case or not but the soreness makes me feel like it is working. So only time will tell if I continue to see improvement or not.

(Paolo Di Donato) #4

Has anyone experienced a lack of energy in keto while doing HIIT training? I have found I have slightly less energy in keto and HIIT Training - I do usually eat cheese, nuts and whatevers available about an hour before workout.

Lately, I have been using KetoCaNa prior to workouts and it boosts me tremendously but other than that I don’t find I am very explosive in a HIIT workout with less than 30 grams of carbs and no supplementation.

I’d love to hear any other experiences!

(jilliangordona) #5

I did at first but I’ve found that I’ve picked my endurance back up with HIIT.

This is good news. I recently picked up BBS to gain fitness without spending hours at the gym.