High fasting glucose non-diabetic

(Dasha ) #1

So I recently switched doctors and I think I should do it again. I left my doctor’s office confused to say the least. I had my blood work done in June before starting back on keto and everything was normal. I’ve been noticing high fasting glucose levels (I bought a ketone meter and decided to test it out). My fasting BG is 105-117 but it’s in low 90’s after lunch. My doctor said high glucose is common in muscular men :roll_eyes: I’m a chubby woman. Also my ketone levels are really low 0.3-0.7 the most. I’ve posted about it and I’m cutting down my carbs to see if it will help. I’m not in to fasting just yet. My main question is why my fasting BG is higher than daytime numbers. My doctor didn’t really answer my question. Any theories?

I’m not asking for diagnosis, I’m asking for opinions

What time in the morning was the test done, and what did you eat the night before?

(Dasha ) #3

I tested around 7:30 and last night I had egg roll in a bowl (minus carrots and onions), salami and mozzarella but it’s like that no matter what I eat. I was done eating at 8:30 pm

Try not eating after 6pm at night and try it

(Dasha ) #5

Im going to try it once I get new strips. I’m not worried about it but I’m really curious. I just don’t understand how my fasting sugar could be higher than the test after a meal.
I have 4 kids and I’ve always failed my 1 hour fasted BG while pregnant test but always passed 4 week monitoring

(Central Florida Bob ) #6

Have you read up on the dawn phenomenon? It’s where your morning fasting glucose is elevated because of hormones released at that time of day. It happens in diabetics and non-diabetics, too.

Jenny Ruhl of Diabetes 101 has the first things I’ve ever read about it:

3.Dawn Phenomenon. If your blood sugar is highest first thing in the morning, and normalizes after you eat or exercise and stays normal hours after dinner, you may have a disturbance of regulatory hormones that is called “dawn phenomenon.”

Our bodies prepare for waking up by secreting stimulating hormones shortly before dawn. These increase our insulin resistance in order to raise blood sugar a small amount. If we were animals who had to go hunt for our first meal, that excess glucose would be useful. Since were are people with refrigerators, it is less so.

Everyone experiences this early morning hormone burst, but in people with diabetes it can become highly exaggerated. In some people it is resistant to any treatment, but once the person goes about their day and eats, the blood sugars become more controllable.

If you have dawn phenomenon that doesn’t respond to various lowering techniques, don’t panic. As long as you are spending most of the day with your blood sugars at a safe level (Always under 140 mg/dl and under 120 mg/dl as much as possible) you’ll be fine.

Hope this helps!

(Todd Allen) #7

If you are eating a typical keto meal with little carb and some protein it would be normal for the insulin response of your meal to lower your blood glucose for a while. My typical fasting blood glucose is 90-110, but I’ve dropped it as low as 50 by drinking whey protein when taking pioglitazone.

Many consider fasting blood glucose between 100 and 125 mg/dl to be pre-diabetes and >125 to be type 2 diabetic. Rising liver enzymes, AST and especially ALT are also correlated with developing diabetes. And look at the other indicators of metabolic syndrome, high blood pressure, high triglycerides, low HDL and visceral fat. Having 3 or more (including high fasting blood glucose) is strongly correlated with insulin resistance and risk of progressing to type 2 diabetes.

The good news is a keto diet can help reverse all of these markers.

(Kate) #8

The fasting sugars are a different process to day time sugars. Day time are from what you have eaten and the insulin pulling the sugar out of your blood after eating. The fasting are to do with gluconeogenesis keeping you alive overnight while you are sleeping and comes from the liver. Things like the dawn effect can be a cause. Hormones rising like cortisol to wake you up can also cause higher sugars.

Personally since being diabetic my fasting is always higher. Dehydration for me is a big factor for higher levels. The more water I drink before bed, overnight and in the morning before testing the lower they are. A good point I read the other day was make sure your fasting is 10-12 hours after your last meal. I was testing early in the morning after eating late and they would be a bit higher.

For me I have found not eating after 8pm, a little walking during the day, apple cider vinegar and making sure I have some water before testing has significantly helped. Better than when I was on Metformin even.

(KCKO, KCFO) #9

Megan Ramos talked about this in a couple of podcasts, both the 2dudes and Jimmy Moore’s sorry I don’t have the episode nos. will try to find them and will post back in here if I do. There is dawn phenomenon of course, dehydration, and if your body does burn any fat during a fast, it will recirculate into the blood, glucose has been stored in the fat cell and is now released. I do think she primarily meant more extended fasting, but it could happen overnight as well.

(Duncan) #10

https://drjockers.com/high-fasting-blood-sugar/

Some more info on this. Maybe interesting. I myself have 120 mg/dl fasted and 2 hours after eating 90 mg/dl. Ketones 0.8. I eat Keto and I do not cheat. Seems higer when eating more protein. Carbs always lower than 20 grams per day all not from sugar.

Still not sure what to make of this. Gluconeogenisis, adaptive glucose sparing, physiologic insulin resistance. Probably low insulin or the Ketones would not be 0.8…

Duncan.

I’m in the same boat… drinking alcohol although brings it down . The liver busy detoxing and no glucogenisis going on? I’m always concerned about it so that doesn’t help.

(Christian) #12

I would suggest to test HbA1c. This value reflects the average glucose for the last three months. If it is in the normal range there is no reason to be concerned.

(Laura) #13

I have had the same issue for years. My FBG is always between 100 and 110. After I eat, it drops below 100 and stays there all day (including after meals). Then, around 9 pm, it starts rising again, even though I am usually done eating by 5 or 6 pm. By bedtime, it is usually between 110 and 120.

One day, I checked my levels every waking hour and this is what I observed. I am not diabetic or pre diabetic. I have low BP, normal blood panels and am on synthroid for hypothyroidism (no Hashimoto’s).

I assume that I am insulin resistant and I am working towards intermittent fasting to see if that helps. I did start taking Insulin Health at night and it seems to be helping. I only take one capsule before bed.

The other thing is that I get up at 4 am for work and I don’t know if my out of ordinary hours has my circadian rhythm working differently. With Keto, I always wake up before the alarm goes off.

I am hoping if I successfully treat the insulin resistance, that the fasting BG will improve.

I have been low carb for about 10 years, under 35 to 40 net carbs per day and for the last 6 months, under 25 net carbs per day.

(Duncan) #14

This explains everything. Not Insulin Resistance but Adaptive Glucose Sparing or Physiologic Glucose Sparing.

(Duncan) #15

The liver will drop everything, fat burning, gluconeogenisis, etc. The poison ethanol (alcohol) is metabolized before everything else. A few (even no carb) drinks can block fat burning for days. I personally do not lose weight drinking alcohol regularly. I now stopped completely the only exeption I make is a low-carb zero alcohol beer once in a while if my macros allow.

Nice read: https://blog.bulletproof.com/keto-alcohol-guide/

So it is the alcohol bringing it down.

High bloodglucose on Keto diet: https://www.docmuscles.com/does-long-term-ketosis-cause-insulin-resistance/

Hba1c, fasting insulin and Homa-IR are all good. It’s just that darn FBG can sometimes be as high as 111. Thanks to some links in this post which I haven’t seen before I might be dehydrated…I’m going to up my water intake. Too
Much black coffee not enough h2o… I don’t sweat much working out either. I know I’m not supposed to worry about it but seeing red flag on lab work bothers me…went carnivore for a couple weeks per suggestion of a Dr I follow on Twitter . A little better but still not in “normal ranges”