High cholesterol and triglycerides

(Sonia) #1

Hi…

I’ve been doing IF for about 4 months and keto about 3 months.

I got my urine and blood results from the doctor. My ketones was large at 160. Cholesterol was 282 and triglycerides was 218. Everything else looked good. I understand cholesterol tends to get high when losing weight since you can’t use cholesterol for energy. So not worried about that BUT I thought the triglyceride level should be low since that’s the source your using to burn fat.

How do I lower this? Why am I not using it as energy? Does this mean I’m in ketosis but not fat adapted? Sorry for all the questions!

What is your triglyceride to HDL ratio? Divide your triglycerides by HDL, anything under 2 is considered safe.

Also, read Dave Feldman’s website: http://cholesterolcode.com/

(Sonia) #3

49 hdl

It’s a little high BUT you’re new and loosing weight so ignore it. Until you’re fat adapted (you probably are at this point) AND you stop loosing weight for a couple weeks cholesterol tests are gonna be high, no way around it. Triglycerides can be manipulated within a week, don’t let that worry you. I did an 8 day fast and ended it with a scheduled test and it was HORRIBLE! Doc flipped out because mine are usually great, told them their test was wrong and got another one the following week after a week of eating again and it was fine. It’s one of the reasons standard lipid panels aren’t the best marker of health. NMR’s show you particle size, if small LDL is high, then you can act on it but without that test there’s really no way to know.

(Bob M) #5

If you are fasting, your trigs might go up, or at least mine do. That is, if you do a ton of IF or long term fasting, then have your blood taken (even only on a 12 hour fast), your trigs will be higher than if you ate normally.

You might check out this podcast referenced here:

(Bob M) #7

That is split into 5 parts, each one of which is massive. Do you have a synopsis you’d like to relate?

Bob, I don’t have any information on the series. I just thought it might be worth checking out based on Todd’s comment. Sorry.