High Blood Glucose During Fasting

fasting
diabetes
intermittentfasting

(Mark Lewis) #1

I went back and forth on adding this to this category of the diabetes category. I am adding it here in hopes to get more dialog about what I am seeing.

I have heard Megan Ramos on a number of different podcasts answers the question to why people can experience higher blood sugars during fasting. The answer has been that fat cells store away glucose and that process of the body utilizing stored fat for energy releases that glucose causing blood glucose levels to rise.

I have done a number of 72+ hour fasts and practice IF 2-3 days our of the week. During these times I am witnessing a rise in blood glucose. On my, IF days I have been testing and my BG has been ~145 mg/dL and after eating a meal an hour later the meter reads ~120 mg/dL. I have currently been fasting for over 48 hours when I checked this morning and had a BG of 218 mg/dL.

What I am seeing seems to support the theory. I am wondering if there any scientific papers, blog posts, and/or experiences in this community that will give me more information?

(Linda Culbreth) #2

Have you read Dr. Jason Fung’s book, The Obesity Code? Chapter 20 is more or less a timeline when fasting and infers about the higher bg levels in fasting. It has been my experience that they come back down after a few days…In the meantime, it cam get pretty high. Your library may even have it.
https://www.intensivedietarymanagement.com

(Matt) #3

I have same issue. I have been searching everywhere for more info on this. I am currently on 48hr fast and my bg is 8 - 6 mmol. So it slowly decreases as i go on to the night. Last night on my fast my bg was 4.9 mmol. I woke up and it was 8.2 mmol. I take it this is also dp effect, but im just as puzzled as you. Maybe i need a longer fast. Currently I do monday to friday 20hr fast omad and light snack when i break it. Someone explain lol!!