😎 Hi, Ketogenic Forums. New member

(William) #1

Hey guys,

:v: Nice to meet all of you. This is my first topic and post! :grimacing: Just registered couple of minutes ago.

Just wanted to drop by and say hi. :muscle: Gotta say… Keto is pretty incredible! Lost a lot of weight with this diet and my health has improved. Currently working on cycling here and there with carbs. I’m actually running into some problems right now like random higher blood glucose readings than normal. Still looking to learn more on how to balance things out and be more metabolically flexible.

Cheers

(Allie) #2

When are you getting the readings?

(William) #3

Hi Shortstuff.

In the morning after waking up it’s like 90-101ish. Shouldn’t I be around mid 70’s and low 80’s for keto and ketosis, right? Lately I’ve been gauging things a lot more for my blood glucose and it’s been around 105 baseline… :X. One hour after meals BG would go up just 10-12 and then drops back down to 105. I think my insulin levels are really low. Been trying to cut down sugar to combat a candida infection… Pretty sure it’s in control now… So I did like 20-30 net carbs for like 7 months straight cold turkey on starches and sugars. Seems like things are starting to backfire a bit.

(Allie) #4

There are no rules on blood sugar and keto levels, you need to establish your own normal with regular testing. Higher levels early morning are normal, often referred to as the “dawn phenomenon” so no need to worry there at all. Things are not backfiring at all :grinning:

I had chronic candida for decades, eliminating sugar (which I had done before keto, maybe why the drift into keto came so easily for me) was the best thing I ever did for it as I’ve had no issues since.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

There is also, in addition to the dawn phenomenon, another process that occurs with fat-adaptation, which is variously called “physiological insulin-resistance” or “adaptative glucose-sparing.” The muscles actually prefer metabolising fatty acids over glucose and even ketones, so people often see a rise in serum glucose. The key datum to say this is not a problem is that HbA1C remains low.