Hi from a home town (CT) newbie using keto to reverse Coronary Artery Disease

(Dave Brooks) #1

Hey everybody, I’m a software developer recently diagnosed with CAD and have begun using keto to stop and reverse the condition. I was diagnosed and received 2 life saving stents for a 99% and 75% blocked arteries in June of this year. I’ve since lost 36 pounds and am inspired by the 2keto dudes and all you are doing to help this community.

I have to admit that I am scared. Having suffered the pain, the operation and now cardiac rehab – where a good bit of the information they provide is contrary to the keto protocol – I’m concerned about making the wrong choice.

I’m interested in finding people with a similar condition in different stages of their rehabilitation to share what is or isn’t working for them.

Looking forward to getting to know you
Dave

Congratulations on starting the journey to better health.

(Dave Brooks) #3

Thanks, any pointers?

(Carpe salata!) #4

Dude, you lost 36 lb you are a star !
Hang around and share around the board. We need to hear your story. Have a look at the ‘What did I eat today’ thread too

I don’t have a heart condition, I hope someone here can help you

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

No heart disease here; I am doing keto to try and stave it off. But where are you, if you don’t mind sharing it? I just moved into Shelton and would love to meet some local keto friends.

(Brian) #7

Just outta curiosity, have you explored the virtues of vitamin K2? It’s just something that came to mind when reading your opening post.

(Dave Brooks) #8

K2 has come up a few times, but I have not. Thanks for the input.

(Dave Brooks) #9

Hey Paul,

I’m in Glastonbury. I plan on attending the next Meet up at Hot Rods in Sept.

Dave

(Dave Brooks) #10

Thanks Peter, but no star here. Being so close “the end” makes all other things a lower priority. Top with with all of the great information and inspiration on the web AND how great low carb makes me feel I just can’t take all the credit. The biggest challenge is minding my bodies signals and stopping when I’ve had enough.

(Dave Brooks) #11

Sorry, new to the whole forum thing. I meant about being part of this community :slight_smile:

Interesting video by Eric Berg discussing vitamin c deficency can lead to less collagen being available to repair arteries. Cholesterol is used if collagen isn’t available for repairs.

(Solomom A) #13

With the possibility of reversing your condition, look into omega 3 fats (fish oil), vitamin d3 (sun) and vit k (fermented foods). The Track Your Plaque site will be helpful. All the best.

(Dave Brooks) #14

Thanks @Dave65, I went down this very interesting train of videos. This correlates well with other research I’ve been looking into from Linus Pauling. I’ve been working my Vitamin C up to 5grams. I’m currently at 3 grams and going up by 1 gram per week.

(Dave Brooks) #15

Thanks @solomon Track You Plaque looks like it is migrating to the Undoctored Inner Circle I’m going to join to see what I can see.

One more video that I found interesting Dave. John Cha is working with a mice model that have been breed to make lipoprotein a, normal mice don’t. John’s mice also don’t make vitamin c in their livers like regular mice. He studied for 20 weeks one group of mice that were fully supplemented with vitamin c to a group that was vitamin c deficient. He used his mouse model that could make lipoprotein a and could not manufacturer vitamin c. The mice that were suplimented vitamin c had no issues while the vitamin c deficient mice had observable problems. The novel mouse model that John used have two things in common with humans: we don’t make vitamin c and we make lipoprotein a.

John Cha interview

(Dave Brooks) #17

Wow @Dave65 Thanks for this… Makes a lot of sense!

(Siobhan) #18

You might want to look into Ivor Cummins who does a lot of “root causes” discussion in his talks and youtube videos.
Tucker Goodrich also recently wrote an article about the effect of omega 6 fatty acids on health you might want to check out, too.

I also wrote an article on some of the mechanisms of the plaque building stage of cholesterol you may find worth reading, and that may help point you in a good direction:

I find understanding the mechanisms can help truly understand what is actually going on (in my view: a type of immune response that progresses over the course of decades). I list all my citations at the bottom.

My dad had a heart attack in his 40s and had chronic heart pain since then (10+ years ago) which went away with keto as well… So theres some anecdotal tidbit there too.

Hope that helps! And good luck on your improving health, heart disease is truly devastating.

(Frank C) #19

Hey, Dave… sorry to hear about your heart “challenge”… I’m a newbie here, too, and I’m going to write a full intro post about myself and my “health journey”… I’m 68, have had 2 “heart attacks”, 3 stents, and have been battling ignorant cardiologists for over 16 years, so I totally understand your concerns, and I think keto (and IF) is a great way to go for almost any body malfunction.

I’m on my 6th cardiologist (soon to be replaced), but I’m mainly working with a naturopath… at my first visit, I was explaining how I was working on heart health using keto/IF as described by Dr. Mercola in “Fat as Fuel”, and he pulls the book out and says he is just now reading it, and is very impressed by his “theory”. It is very difficult to find good wellness advice in the main stream medical group… they are so programmed to treat symptoms (with drugs) that they are totally out of touch with anything remotely resembling true health and wellness.

As you surely seeing, once you’ve had a life threatening illness, you are no longer interested in playing the “maybe this will work” game… you (like me) are very serious about finding the TRUTH… we can no longer afford to play around with unfounded fad diets and bogus health advice, regardless of how well meaning it is… we don’t have the luxury of “guessing” at what might work, and any misinformation can end up being fatal!

I wasn’t going to write this much, but as you can see, I’m pretty passionate about this subect, and I want to share and communicate with those who want to learn and grow in hopes of not only improving my well-being, but to contribute to others who are of like mind.

Be well, and prosper…

Frank C

(Dave Brooks) #20

Hey Frank, Welcome and all I can say is wow!. I’m only on my first cardiologist who is also a lipidologist. He is familiar with keto and was in ketosis for 18 months. The funny thing is he prescribed a Mediterranean diet and told me I should use keto as a therapy only. I hope this is a sign that I will be able to work with this doc in the system (the whole insurance thing you know) while still working outside of the system :slight_smile: where it counts. My follow up appointment is next week and I’m interested to review all of my new found information to see what I can find out.