Hey guys, thanks for having me

(Andy Stockwell) #1

So I’ve tried keto a couple of years ago and fell of the wagon.

Recently my mother was diagnosed pre-diabetic. I’ve talked about the diet before, but now I’m really trying to set an example for her, and my dad if I can get him to listen to this “New age wackado”. Also gets me healthy too, so bonus.

Started this time around the first part of February, started @ 312 down to 290 as of last Monday. (Weigh in once a week.) I’ve also had to take in a couple of notches in on my belt.

Current goals right now are 250 pounds and a 36 inch waist on my jeans from a 42.

Been catching up on the pod casts while I drive. Thanks @carl & @richard fit the info and inspiration.

(Richard Morris) #2

Weight is a good marker for health in the metabolically deranged, but it doesn’t mean as much once you have your glucose/insulin levels under control. I know plenty of people who have become non-obese and cured diabetes, yet still count as overweight.

I’m a perfect example. When I started keto my BMI was 45, it’s current 29. My ideal body weight to get it into the ideal range would be 59 - 79 kgs. But my last DEXA scan showed that my lean body mass is 80.38 kgs. Even if I had 0% body fat, I would still be 1.38kgs over weight.

I think waist measurement is a better indicator of health :slight_smile:

(A ham loving ham! - VA6KD) #3

I’m wondering though if the LBM measurement comes down a bit when the overall weight comes down. It makes sense to me that perhaps your muscles are a little larger from carrying the extra weight. I had a DXA done a couple weeks ago and it said my LBM was ~82kg, but my doc and dietician have always said ideally the perfect body weight for me should be closer to 70-75kg. Going by the DXA scan I could never achieve that… I don’t believe the doc’s estimate to be achieveable anyways.

(Andy Stockwell) #4

@richard I agree that weight is just a number and the only real thing it really tells you is how much gravitational force is being applied to your mass. But it is a data point I can gather right now along with measurements (would definitely suggest getting a myotape makes that process much easier)

(Andy Stockwell) #5

I’ve started looking for a place where I can get a DEXA scan. Moving to a new town a few months ago so still finding things around town.

Keto calculator has me around 86kg of LBM so that’s what I’m using in my calcs right now.

I defiantly have some built legs, from caring my weight around the middle, plus a past of football, judo and boxing. My brother has called them elephant legs all his life…

(Brian) #6

I assume part of our lean body mass includes fluids flowing though and supporting our adipose tissue as well as connective tissue needed to hold it at least somewhat in place as well as extra skin to cover our excess adipose and bone density may decline since it no longer has to support our previous massive body structure. I assume when we loose the excess fat the body eliminates several pounds of lean body mass in the form of blood, lymph, collagen and other connective tissue, bone, and if we are lucking, most of that excess skin. So if we exercised as we lost weight and maintained all of our muscle mass we should still expect to loose quite a few pounds of lean body mass.

(Richard Morris) #7

BMI math doesn’t actually work … it’s remedial math for doctors :slight_smile:

Welcome @thissideofdead
It sounds like you are off to a flying start. Great to have you here and I look forward to hearing about your progress.

You are a super dense guy! Your LBM is heavier than the total me! That has me in awe.

(Brian) #9

I’ve come a long ways and have a ways to go, but can’t possibly achieve a normal BMI while still healthy enough to move around. I have a fair amount of lean mass I hope to loose along with the non lean mass I’m working on loosing. Would like to have a Dexa but not willing to pay for one, money better spent on rib eye