Here's a doozy of a story

newbies
fasting
progress

(What The Fast?!) #1

Hey all! I’m sharing a vey weird start to keto and would love some feedback!

I started keto a few weeks back with about 15-20 lbs to lose. I’m very active - I work out 5-6 days a week (including Pilates, yoga, HiiT workouts (kettlebells, TRX), and do endurance cycling. I’ve been at the same weight for AGES and have tried roughly one thousand things with little to no results (IIFYM, veganism, Paleo, I’ve even done HCG a few times). I have high hopes for keto though.

I initially lost about 5-6 lbs of water weight (I was super bloated from 3 months of all plant-based eating) and then stalled out at the exact same weight for about a week (which is GREAT, because I usually bounce up and down like a volleyball on a daily basis, so consistency, in my opinion, is improvement). However, I was using keto sticks (Ketostix brand) and only get fairly light pink results…we’ll come back to this. Okay - now the weird stuff…

I was making a hot beverage for myself last week and my blender full of near-boiling water exploded onto me; I ended up in the ER with second degree burns all over my chest. Blistering, nerve damage, the whole nine yards. I was on pain killers for almost a week but I maintained a keto diet. I noticed that my Keto Sticks were completely white - which I believe is due to the pain killers, based on experimenting with not taking them and then testing to find at least a bit of pink without the meds in my system.

Okay, so since that happened, my weight has been up about 2 lbs from the initial loss, but I have to assume that my body is retaining water from the shock and also because it’s trying to heal itself. I haven’t been able to work out (of course) but have been trying to go on long walks now that I’m feeling better. I’m off the pain meds but my keto sticks are still reading totally white…my guess is that my body is using the ketones to heal itself rather dumping them in my urine, but that’s a guess - do ketones even do that?

Now, shark week has arrived (6 days late, I might add), the sticks are still white, and I’m still up on the scale. I have no idea if I’m fat-adapted (I do not have that “sense of fullness” that people talk about - I could basically eat everything forever) and am wondering if it’s cool to try a fast at this point. I’ve been tracking macros (based on a calculator in another keto group), but don’t feel satiated based on their numbers…

Here are my questions:
1.) I know Keto sticks are not super reliable - but has anyone used them when they were certain they were in ketosis, but the sticks did not register anything?
2.) Any experience with injuries, wounds, or pain killers, and how they might affect ketosis?
3.) Too soon for a fast?
4.) Are macros useless? I’ve heard it’s important to track them when you only have 15 or so lbs to lose.
5.) Does any of this affect whether I’m fat-adapted?
6.) Is this just the weirdest sequence of events ever???

Thanks all - and thanks to @carl and @richard for this community! PS you guys - thanks for Music to Cody By! I don’t code, but I am a tech recruiter and I use it while I’m sourcing candidates…very helpful!

(gooeykablooey) #2

I can’t tell you anything about pain killers effecting keto. Zero experience there.
Yes you can be in ketosis and have negative test results. For me the sticks only worked the first couple days and then after that if I found myself out of ketosis they only show results now the first 24 hours in back in ketosis after that the sticks show negative.
Macros are not useless. Tracking and keeping within your guidelines no matter what your goals are is important to sustaining ketosis.
Everyone has different opinions on fasting. Personally I don’t fast if I’m hungry. My body let’s me know when to fast so I just follow how I feel.

I feel the same way which is why I’ve stopped the planned fasts and would add if you’re not hungry, then don’t eat. :slight_smile: This would let the fasts occur naturally.

However if your goal is to do longer fasts you might push through at some point to extend it a few extra hours to exercise your fasting muscle so to speak, but consistent hunger is a good sign that it’s probably not the right time to fast.

(What The Fast?!) #4

Thanks! I’ve not experienced “no hunger” yet. Can’t wait for that day to come. :slight_smile:

Hey, on the bright side, using a blender with hot liquid is something you only do once! :wink:

(What The Fast?!) #6

@Kirkor …now THAT is the truth!!

(jketoscribe) #7

You need extra calories to heal, especially from burns, so I wouldn’t rush fasting just yet. I do recommend lots of bone broth and gelatin for supporting collagen in your skin.

(What The Fast?!) #8

@janknitz Thank you for that!! I buy this organic bone broth from Costco, but it has 9g of protein per serving, so I eat it sparingly as I’m trying not to each too much protein. I do have gelatin as well, I’ll throw that in my coffee or something!

(jketoscribe) #9

I would not worry about too much protein during this healing phase. You need extra right now.

(Jeanette Villanueva) #10

I agree. Right now protein is not a bad thing . I was injured a week after I started but kept going. I ended up eating extra protein and it seemed to help. Im glad i did. I felt like it helped me heal quicker.