Help with working out my patterns

(natalija ) #1

Hi All,

Thanks for having me, this is my first post. I am hoping someone can assist me and find where I’m going wrong.

I’m a 42 year old male, I’m 165cm, weigh 80kg. I’m a solid build and daily cyclist. I’ve been on keto now for 5 weeks, and keep my nett carbs under 20g / day. I have been experimenting with intermittent fasting lately, but everything I’m reading ins’t making sense to the results. I am also struggling with blood readings being really really inconsistent.

The blood readings are my main concern. Most the time they read 0.1 - 0.3, with the very occassional spike to 0.5 to 0.9. Three times in my time on this diet, my readings have been 1.8, 1.3, and 1.9, but other than those expected results, most the time my blood reads poor, so I know it can get up there, but I havent been able to work out what is the pattern.

A few things I’ve worked out is that my levels are higher during the night, but the levels read poorly through the day and increase late. Lately I’ve been trying 6pm to midday, 18 hr fasts. Through the fasting periods my levels are really low (0.1). I’ve red that fasting should increase your levels but Im not finding this to be the case.

The few times they’ve red 1.8, 1.3, and 1.9, has been either the morning after a hard ride, and a massive meal, or directly after a hard ride and a massive meal. The massive meal has been the same meal - a large sized, 12", keto cheese pizza with beef and gerkins. I guess it’s fair to say this is a patten, but not a very good patten. I can’t imagine I will live long eating a pizza of that proportion every night as it is a big meal, but on the flip side it seems to push my readings where they want to go. I’ve estimated that pizza as 30 nett carbs and off the scale fat readings.

I have a few questions that knowlegable people may be able to shed some light on. I appreciate that everyone is different, but I’m trying to work out where i stand.

When people fast, should their blood read this low? After eating this big meal, I seem to see the readings I hope for but pretty much at no other time. I’ve tried lowering my nett carbs, IF, and I’m starting to get very confused with what I’m reading.

If anyone is able to advise that would be fantastic.

Thank you kindly!

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

My advice is put the meter back in the box it came in, put it on the top shelf of your clothes closet, pile lots of stuff on top and in front of it, and forget about it for the next six months.

Stay sub-20 grams of carbs per day. Dump the pizza. You’ll be OK. :slightly_smiling_face:

(natalija ) #3

hahaha, the pizza is so good! I’ve been told not to test, and feel my way through, I just find it hard. In many ways I’m stubborn and a little ocd.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #4

Then test. As many times per day as you please. Chart the results on a graph. Look at the graph whenever you feel like it. Just don’t obsess over the numbers. Lots happens when you go keto. It all takes time and you have to let it take its course, whatever it is. Obsessing over numbers on your blood meter won’t change anything. Still dump the pizza, though. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(natalija ) #6

and yes, you are right about obsessing over the numbers. I know I shouldn’t, but I just feel I am putting in so much effort and not getting results!

I also haven’t lost any weight since starting which also makes me feel frustrated.

its also nice to talk to someone who knows about all this stuff, so thanks for chatting :slight_smile:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

Have you had any blood work done recently? Do you know your fasting insulin and HbA1C? If you are highly insulin-resistant, it is possible that you might have to cut back even further on the carbohydrate to see appreciable serum β-hydroxybutyrate. Also, what is your protein intake? Are you getting enough calories? Are you experiencing hypoglycaemic episodes (i.e., bonking)?

(Robert C) #8

This can be an issue depending on how much cycling is happening.

If you are consuming 2000 calories a day but bike enough to burn 1000 calories a day - then your body is going to think it is in calorie restriction (even through you are eating “Keto” foods).

So, if you are into “beast mode” super long hard cycling daily - you might want to cut back on that while trying to make your hormones change through diet.

(And, per others, you might want to drop the pizza - get under 20 TOTAL grams of carbs - while trying to fat adapt - this will let your meter work correctly and then later, you can add back in some carbs and see what you can tolerate after actually fat adapted.)