Help! Wine tastes horrible

wine

(Tiarn) #1

It’s a tragedy! I live smack bang in the middle of one of Australia’s largest wine growing regions, The Hunter Valley, and I am now successfully in week 3 of the Ketogenic diet- it’s beyond amazing- but there seems to be a catch…in the last 2 weeks, I have had a glass or two of my favourite drops, $40+ a bottle no less, and the entire character of the wine tastes something more akin to a 80’s boxed wine- spit it out at the first mouthful kind of stuff. Unlike others have reported, it doesn’t taste more sweet, just not nice!

Please!!! Anyone know why?? Will my tastebuds ever allow me to love a good drop again again!!!

(Raj Seth) #2

Well - I used to drink an old vines red Zinfandel that I loved. Doesn’t do much for me any more. Liquor still tastes good, though

Keto: improves your health, and saves you money! :+1:

oh dear! You might find others that you like more (i.e. maybe your tastes are just shifting?).

It’s possible that you’re in a slightly different physiological state as you adjust to fat-burning and that your tastes will settle somewhere more familiar in a few months. (Some corollary to the overproduction of ketones that we see in the beginning but that calms down over time…)

(Tiarn) #5

Thanks Madeleine. Fingers and toes crossed!

(Candy Lind) #6

Considering that you’re probably expelling lots of ketones in your breath (you’re not using them efficiently just yet), it certainly could affect your tastebuds. I wouldn’t give them away just yet. Try something cheap & sweet - maybe that will hold you until you’re fat-adapted! :relaxed:

(Tiarn) #7

Thanks Candy. Sounds like the issue! :grinning:

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #8

Don’t go sweet. It might knock you out of ketosis. I drink some dry reds and they taste “normal” but I’m fat adapted.

I get buzzed on less wine now. Side benefit.

(Frank) #9

Wouldn’t it be nice if the 8 dollar wine now tastes like the 40 dollar wine.

(Tiarn) #10

Funny you say that. I bought an AUD$7.99 French Rose from ALDI yesterday and it tastes better…:joy:

(Frank) #11

Boom!!

(Sam H) #12

Damn shame. Goon is still around by the way, Australia invented it - so drink fruity alexia with pride!

Pigs peak is my favourite in the Hunter but I’m more a $12 parsons paddock but only when they are on special for $8 at Liqorland. I made the leap giving up the grog at the start of oct but have some cheat days (special events) in the calendar.

Good luck in your hunt. Give Lillypilly a go (Riverina region).

(Tiarn) #13

Ha! I was going to say “silver serpent” instead of box, but thought I’d keep the question global! Pigs Peak is right around the corner… will try! :grinning:

(Sam H) #14

Haha @Tiarn We called it’s the Silver Prince. Those days are behind me now. Excluding my grandma when she was around, seemed like it is a young persons game

(Carpe salata!) #15

Maybe it was a Merlot? Try a good Coonawarra Cab Sav with a pan fried sirloin. Hope your tastes settle. Nothing beats a nice glass of red.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #16

My wine taste has changed, just as it did on my first go through. But as you are newly ketogenic, give it a few months before doing something drastic (like flying to Sonoma to taste a large number of varietals to see what your revised palate prefers, like I’m doing next month).

(Tiarn) #17

:+1:… Jealous!

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #18

Less extreme flight from Chicago than the Hunter Valley. I’m a lot more jealous, as it’s my retirement goal to live in a wine growing region.

(Doug) #19

Twice my taste has gotten screwy as I’ve gone through my 50s. It’s not related to keto, and lasted for 3 or 4 days each time.

But wow -

:open_mouth:

(Tiarn) #20

Tastes buds are back and my breath has returned to normal… fat adapted? :thinking: