Help! Three Month Stall

(Midnight Muse) #1

Each person is unique so here is my story:

I started a low carb ketogenic diet at the end of July 2017 at 278 lbs (starting weight) and lost almost exactly 100 lbs. I should probably also state that I have Hashimoto’s (hypothyroid disease) and actively monitor my thyroid levels. My weight loss stalled about three months ago. I have remained in ketosis throughout the entire time. After the first month of stalling, I began increasing regularly exercise (kung fu, rapier/fencing, vinyasa flow yoga, weightlifting, and walking). My bun/creatinine levels increased and so I decreased my protein and increased my fat. I started getting headaches after exercise so I also increased my salt intake and added more magnesium. My caloric intake is cyclical and low days are around 800 calories and high days are around 1600 calories.

To break the stall, I have tried intermittent fasting but it didn’t help (body reacted poorly and gained a couple pounds which dropped shortly after I stopped). I wake up at around 7:30am and don’t get hungry till around 12pm to 2pm. I usually eat a small meal at that time and then will eat again around 5pm to 6pm. By 9pm I am ravenously hungry and usually craving slices of cold butter, cream cheese, or other high fat deliciousness. I drink water regularly.

More recently, I have felt tired after more intense exercise, so sometimes take a small 30 minute nap if I need to afterwards.

As stated, my weight is stalled. So I’m stuck at 178 lbs. High flux is up to around 180 lbs and the low flux is at around 176 lbs (it’s been over a month since I went that low, though).

Other weird stuff… I have issues with neuropathy, degenerative disc disease, mild spinal compression, etc. So, sometimes my body doesn’t work right (the nerves don’t seem to get the “signal” they need) and can’t pass bowel movements without using an enema.

So… Weight is stuck at 178 lbs. I’m not losing inches either (waist is stuck at 36 inches and hips are at 45 inches). To me, my stomach seems a bit bloated even though the inches have not changed. My arms appear to be gaining some muscle.

Any ideas or suggestions? I’m happy with the diet and it’s a permanent (or at least semi-permanent) lifestyle change for me. But, I still need to finish dropping another 30 to 40 lbs. I know that the process slows the further that I get to my goal, but any kind of movement would be helpful at this point.

Midnight Muse

(Karen) #2

My favorite advice

K

Also - you’ve lost 100 pounds in a year (in less than a year). WOW!!! congratulations!!! That’s incredible.
I wonder if your body is just catching up on some things now - sounds like there’s some healing that needs to happen and maybe that’s just what it needs to do right now. Wouldn’t this be lovely: some time at this new low weight, healing, adjusting (not just physically but psychologically!), and then things pick up again and you start losing easily again.

I would take measurements in multiple places (not just waist and hips) -arms, legs, lower belly, chest (you’re a woman? above and below the bust as well as the bust). There might be a lot of shifting around that you won’t catch with just those two measurements.

I’m sure Hashimoto’s complicates your journey. But mostly: 100 pounds off is amazing!