Help reading labels

(Scott) #1

When I am reading the labels , I understand the fats proteins and carbs - fibres. When I am looking at canned tomatoes or sausage there are also sugars which I am avoiding for the most part but don’t know how to include them in my calculations.

also I have a list of some of the fake sugars included which I am trying to ignore and cant really spell them of the top of my head
miss corn and kidney beans in my chile :frowning:

(Chris) #2

Are you tracking total carbohydrates or net carbohydrates?

If counting net, just use the total carbs and subtract any fiber. Sometimes labels can be misleading-sounding though. Like I’ve seen some where it’ll say 2g carbs, 3g sugars- and that makes zero sense to me.

By far and away the most important item is the Carbohydrate value (that should include the sugars but double check them anyway).

Don’t read the “portion size” column, read the per 100g column.

Once you get into ketosis properly your appetite and taste will change so don’t worry about the corn and beans. With keto food new doors open up. And you can “eat to satiety” which is great. No more semi-starvation.

Just absolutely make sure you nail the 20g Net Carbs, if you want to be doubly sure then use 20g Total Carbs (that is more strict, so half an avocado not a full one). Once you get into keto you can gradually switch from 20g Total Carbs to 20g Net carbs.

Just in case I didn’t mention it, nail 20g carbs - that’s the key

Please ask if you have more questions.

Cheers

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

Regardless of which country you’re in, Carbohydrate includes any amounts under sugars, so you don’t have to account for sugar any further.

But in the U.S. and (I believe) Canada, the Carbohydrate amount includes Fiber, whereas in Europe and the rest of the Commonwealth, Fibre has already been subtracted from Carbohydrate. This means that in North America, to count total carbs, one simply takes the Carbohydrate amount, and to count net carbohydrate, one must subtract Fiber from Carbohydrate. But in Europe and the Commonwealth, one counts total carbohydrate by adding Fibre to Carbohydrate, and to count net carbohydrate, one uses only the Carbohydrate number.

Clear? As mud, I know. But I didn’t write the labeling laws, alas!

(Scott) #5

Sorry I didn’t articulate my questions properly. If a label say. 5carbs 2G fibre and 3G sugars . Would this mean I am consuming 5grams or carbs and 3G of net carbs . Do you just ignore the sugars in the calculations or how is it added

Net carbs would be 3g, which includes the sugars.

Which country are you in? If it’s Europe then it’s a bit different.

In places like US and Australia, Carbohydrates already include sugar. So you do not add sugar. Just use the Carbohydrate number as is.

Let’s say

Carbohydrates = 5g per 100g. (That’s the total carbs)
Fiber is 2g
Sugar is 1.5g

Then it is just 5-2=3g Net carbs. Count 3g towards your limit of 20g Net Carbs.

This assumes you only eat 100g of the food. If you eat 200 then double everything.

If you go with the more strict, but more certain to work 20g Total Carb protocol then count it as 5g.

Notice Fiber is the optional value but we don’t do anything with the sugar (1.5g) number, we notice it and cringe but no maths.

Help that helps (again ask more questions if you have them)

Cheers.

(Bob M) #8

I have some fresh salsa that has 10 calories (per 2 tablespoons), but only one gram of carbs and zero grams of everything else. How does that work? :confounded:

I assume it’s 2.5 grams of carbs, or maybe 1.9 grams carbs and 0.6 grams protein or something like that. They like to round down.

(Scott) #9

Thanks trying to stay under 20 and unless hidden I am around 10-15 without using net. For a little food variety might have to go up a little but under 20

Good stuff.

Once you get more established, you will feel an automatic loss in appetite and your taste will change (little or no desire for carbs). Then you might carefully add a bit of this and that and see how it all goes.

That 20g carb limit is very real. And it makes all the difference.

Cheers.

Sorry i had to. :grin:

(Scott) #12

I’m in Canada

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #13

I believe that Canadian labeling law follows the U.S., so in the case you mention above, 5 g of carbohydrate minus 2 g of fiber equals 3 net grams of carbohydrate, all of which happens to be sugar, in this case. In general, you can subtract the figure for fiber from the figure for carbohydrate, because the grams of carbohydrate listed include fiber.

In Europe, the label for that same product would say carbohydrate 3 grams, 3 of which are sugar. So if you are counting net carbs, you would use 3 g as your carb count, if counting total carbs, you would count 3 + 2 g = 5 g of total carbohydrate.

In both countries, the total amount of carbohydrate is 5 grams, it’s just listed differently on the label, and you have to know which style of label it is, to count the carbohydrate correctly. There was some confusion in a thread last year, where people in the U.S. advised a British woman to subtract the fiber from the carb amount, and she ended up eating a lot more carbohydrate than she realized, because the fiber had been subtracted twice. Fortunately, she soon came across a label that revealed the confusion, and she got sorted out, but it shows the dangers of not taking location into account when giving advice.

(Robert C) #14

You might want to rethink how you buy things.

Manufacturers cannot really put sugar into a fresh tomato.
Sausage (outside of a can) from a reputable source will not be loaded with chemicals (but probably still best avoided in favor of unadulterated meat).

The question is - how are the manufacturers getting the flavor into the can?
It is a business imperative for them to get the flavor up to a high level for return business.
If they reduce sugar, are they adding something artificial?

As well, how can they keep this biologically dead material non-deadly in a can for a year or two?
You know they have to add chemicals (AKA preservatives) for that so they can bury artificial flavor enhancers in the can along with those that you’ll ignore at the bottom of the label.

Keto is about greatly reducing carbs - but do you really want to spend a lot of time debugging a plateau only to find out that chemicals in canned foods are causing the problem? I would stay away from canned “anything”.

@RobC. Would you include canned sardines in that missive? Tuna fish!

(Robert C) #16

I do not think so. According to the link below, they can can fish safely with only heat and pressure (you are buying a whole food) But, the label should be checked for preservatives and low quality oil. I also do not think food companies are likely to add flavor as the flavor being looked for is the actual fish flavor (except in the case where the can states “Spicy Sardines” or something - doesn’t seem like sweet or artificial sweeteners would be used to “up” the flavor).

@RobC Thanks. Kinda figured they were OK. But so what I’ve learned is that cheap sardines are not worth the stomach ache many cause. They are too often canned in soybean oil or include carby additives. All these cause me discomfort.

I’ve learned not to buy sardines under $2 a can and to buy name brands like Crown Prince and King Oscar that are canned in olive oil. Taste a lot better too.

(joseph) #18

wal mart has wild planet brand in evoo.