Help Please: Keto is working for me but not my husband :/

My husband and I both started Keto on 6/10, and both flew through the initial days. Unfortunately as my weight loss progressed, his has been stagnate for about 5 days. He is tracking in MFP, eating 70% fats, 25% protein and 5% carbs, most of the time, eating what I am eating. Also his digestion is not what it was before. Any advice so I can support him? Or help him power through?

(Allie) #2

5 days is nothing, can’t even be classed as a stall.

Patience, and maybe some digestive enzymes and / or probiotics to help his stomach adjust.

THANK YOU for giving us a story about a wife losing weight faster than her husband. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I agree with @Shortstuff. If this continues for another few weeks, it’s time to consider a little scrutiny. But I’d just encourage him to KCKO! (and make sure he’s getting enough salt.)

Thanks all, he is very frustrated and we want to make sure he is correct, his strips refect ketones are present.

We will stay the course.

(Chris Robertson) #5

A lot of gut bacteria dies when you go on keto and new gut bacteria takes it’s place because the bacteria needed to process carbs isn’t the same as that needed for fat. The change happens at different speeds for different people for a variety of different reasons. Gut bacteria does play a huge role in digestion so will have an impact.

I’d also suggest not paying such close attention to percentages and instead focus on the actual numbers. 20g carbs, .5g protein per pound of lean body mass. I know fiber isn’t necessarily encouraged in keto but it is pretty important so eat at least 5 portions of high fiber low carb greens every day and then eat fat until you aren’t hungry anymore. I find that I’m eating about 80% fat to make myself feel full but if you don’t feel like you need that much that you don’t need that much. The important thing is that your grams of fat are equal to or greater than your grams of protein and carbs combined.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #6

You know, I almost said the same thing, but then realized there’s was no real indication whether PhoxyJeep was a man or woman and thought, maybe I better not assume.

Understandable, I am a woman.

Thanks everyone for the feedback, we will stay focused. I just want to see him share in the success with minimal frustration and reason to quit.

Oh good point! And phew, @PhoxyJeep. I hate being caught assuming stuff like that! :blush:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

My, how times have changed! My ex and I were married in all but the eyes of the law, because gay marriage wasn’t legal back then. Never thought I’d live to see the day . . .

And @Callisto, for what it’s worth, I really haven’t adjusted to the new reality, to be honest, and I’d have made the same assumption. And you know what happens when we assume . . . :grinning:

You + me = ass

Thank you for exonerating me! I do need to get with the program though. :smile:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #11

Me too, obviously. (sigh)

(Katie) #12

Things that may help and considerations:

• Make sure that food sources are whole foods, so not protein bars and other processed foods
  • Many people have intolerances to dairy–eliminating it might help
  • Since your change in diet has he greatly increased a certain type of food? What is it and is it possible that it is causing issues? An example is an increase in fibrous vegetables could cause digestive distress
  • Do not eat raw vegetables; cooked is easier on digestion

Thank you!! He got through his Post Induction Stall Syndrome and now I am tackeling mine. We are thrilled with the life style.