Help needed with Bone Broth

(Josef Kane) #1

I have tried doing bone broth three times following the guidance on both keto and paleo forums. I have used a slow cooker but I am obviously doing something wrong. The bones I get are from an old-fashioned butcher who supplies grass fed meat.I used beef bones for about 48 hours.

Problem I have is that whilst it is cooking the smell in the house is revolting. I’m used to some nasty smells as I was a paramedic for almost 30 years and I was doing some for my sister following a hip replacement who was a nurse and she spent quite a while literally gagging. (not being gross, just trying to get over the problem as there’s been no mention of it in items I’ve read).

I had to use countless incense sticks to try and get rid of the smell and it didn’t taste that good to be honest.

If it was a one off I would think I had a dodgy batch of bones but all 3 times have been a failure.

I recognise it is a very good thing to have but I could get divorced at this rate.

Any suggestions would be apreciated.

(johnaustin454) #2

Hi @Josefk

I have a couple of questions for you.

What recipe are you trying to follow? Have you recently just started going Keto? Do you have access to a pressure cooker?

John

(Cat Hi) #3

Understand exactly what your stating, had the same problem myself. Wasn’t real keen on the flavor either but use bone broth for fasting, it helps me alot with fasting. So I add smoked neck bones, adds salt, and a nice smoked flavor. Actually it seems that I have been making bone broth all my life. Using chicken and smoked necked bones, always make chicken soup whenever I fall victim to a virus and neckbones for my greens. When I drink the bone broth I find adding some Goya chicken broth to the bone broth adds a more complex flavor which I like! Good luck

(dawn.hakala) #4

I just made my 4th batch… I use both, an IP & Slowcooker.
Bones, cover with water…1-2 tbsp ACV, some carrots, onion, peppercorns, Gray salt, celery, hell, whatever misc veggies I might have around. Crock-Pot, 10 hours low. House smells amazing in morning!

Bone broth in a crock pot?
(Chelsey) #5

That is NOT the normal smell of bone broth. Bone broth is literally the “chicken stock” or “beef stock” so it’s the base to most soups, so it really should smell delicious. I’ve been making BB for 4 years now. Keep it simple. Roast bones (or if your roast or cut of meat has a bone in it, remove the bone after cooking and throw in freezer bag until you’ve collected enough bones to make BB). Large bones can cook 3-4 days, chicken bones are very small so 24 hours should do it. Add an ounce or so of ACV. Cook on low in crock pot. KEY: Add veggies for taste when there’s only 24 hours left to cook. So when making chicken stock, you can add the veggies in at the same time you start the broth. When making BB from beef bones, add veggies only in the last 24 hours. The thing with BB is that you’re trying to extract nutrients, right? The same goes with the veggies. You’re only going to get so much out of those veggies and if you let them cook for 3-4 days, they’re just gonna burn. We drink our BB for up to about 4 weeks fresh. I just store in fridge in a glass jar. There’s a FB group called “The Bone Broth Pot” and they have drinking BB down to an art. I just cook with mine but my kids drink it straight (or diluted just to stretch it out) so I don’t really have tips on making it palatable to drink, except that you have to start with a great product. Hope this helps a little!

(Richard Morris) #6

I’ve never managed to make bone broth smell awful. Do you roast the bones first? It’s not necessary but it does make the flavour better.

We’re lucky we have a laurel tree so I pluck a few bay leaves every time I make a batch. Also we have a thyme bush.

(Josef Kane) #7

Hi John,

I used beef bones, roast them first then cover with water, apple cider vinegar, carrots, celery, salt, pepper, onion and garlic. Only have a slow cooker not a pressure cooker.

I’ve been mainly paleo for a year or so but just starting keto.

(Josef Kane) #8

Hi Richard,

I do bake them first, haven’t added anything other than the normal carrots, onions, garlic, celery, ACV and salt/pepper.

(Josef Kane) #9

Hi Chelsey

There is no way that this smell could be normal. I’m normal good at cooking so I’ve excelled myself here.

Will have a look at that page on FB for some ideas. I have added the veggies from the start so that may be the problem.

Over the years with boxing and weight training I’ve had some foul stuff so things being unpalatable haven’t been a problem but I’m obviously doing something wrong.

(Josef Kane) #10

Thanks Dawn, that’s pretty much what I’m doing minus the amazing smell. :joy:

(Josef Kane) #11

Hi Cat, Never tried chicken broth yet, only beef. May give that a go. I’ve been having Boullion whilst fasting at the moment.

(johnaustin454) #12

I found when I started this WOE that things smelled and tasted differently than they do now. It may be that the same thing is happening to you.

I ask about the pressure cooker because I find the smells do not permeate the entire house like a slow cooker ( I don’t mind the smell).

I’ve attatched a link that I started with (it’s pretty much the same as @richard put down). I also keep the bone broth going a lot longer. 1st batch is 24 hours, then strain and start it over again with new water and ACV for another 24.

(Chelsey) #13

I would bet you’re just cooking the veggies too long. Makes a huge difference! I made that mistake myself several times!

(shawn) #14

I had this problem, too. I didn’t mind it so much, but my husband did. The problem was solved when I got my Instant Pot (electric pressure cooker), which I bought solely for bone broth, but have been using for tons of other stuff (hard boiled eggs, soups, stew, chili and some meats). Instead of 24- 48 hours, I can do it in 2-4 hours, and the Pot is sealed until it’s vented at the end, so the time that it’s smelling up the house is pretty short. This also saves in freezer space since I can make it in short notice or multiple batches in the time it takes to make one. I’m so glad I got it before Christmas so that the smell of evergreen, cloves and cinnamon didn’t have to compete with bones. Amazon had a great deal on Black Friday. Maybe there’s an after Christmas or New Years sale.

(Cathie Condon) #15

I have read that oven roasting the bones first adds better taste and may reduce the smell

I don’t make my broth by slow cooker…I do it the old fashion way…just pot on a stove on low heat. I add a whole bunch of aromatics that make the smell delicious. Like leek, parsley, carrot, celery, tomato, bay leaf, sage, rosemary, cloves and thyme.

Maybe it’s the beginning part of the broth that creates that uncomfortable smell. Perhaps start the broth making on your stove the old fashion way (to take the “edge” off) and then transfer to slow cooker to finish the rest of the broth, once the bones are cooked and aromatics boiled for 1 or 2 hours on the stove.

(G. Andrew Duthie) split this topic #17

A post was split to a new topic: Bone Broth Semi-fail…looking for tips for next time!

(Aloy ) #18

I made my very first broth based on this recipe: http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2015/01/13/Keto-Bone-Broth And it was perfect! maybe try using a stove top or a pressure cooker instead of the slow cooker?

Hope your next batch is delicious and smells wonderful.

(Joseph Fager) #19

What is ACV?

(Kellyn ) #20

apple cider vinegar