Help me figure out an exercise schedule please!

exercise

(Heather Meyer) #1

Okay so here is my conundrum… I swim laps for cardio and i also do weight lifting. I am limited by the swim schedule in our rural town since they dont offer swims morning noon and night. So im trying to figure out what kind of exercise schedule to do to get the most benefit. I should add that when i swim… im doing 64 lengths or 32 laps in the pool in 50 minutes.

My job is 11:30-4:30
Gym is open 24 hrs 7 days a week
Pool is open for laps 7x week at noon but since i work… these are the only times i can swim

Monday 8-9 pm
Wed 8-9 pm
Sat 12-1 noon
Sun 12-1 noon

So my thought was… 3x swimming 3x weights
But im not sure cause that means doing a double workout on the weekends and only 1 day off for rest.
Can you help me figure this out?? Pleeeease!

(Laurie) #2

I hesitate to suggest anything specific, as we are all different. But, here’s a thought:

Mon Wed: swim
Tues Thurs: weights
Sun: weights and swim

This way you get Friday night off and Saturday off as well.

OR

You could double up 3 days a week if you have the energy. This would give you more days off:

Mon Wed Sun (or Sat): weights and swim

(Cywgdave) #3

You may consider utilizing a “Body by Science” method of resistance training. One resistance training workout per week if done properly. I’ve been using it for a few years now and definitely notice a difference, I have more muscle nearing 50 than I did in my 30’s. google or youtube it and you’ll get plenty of information about it. Just going from 3x a week for weights going once frees up a lot of time for other things and less conflict with swimming. I also use a “HIIT” routine for swimming, with young kids I don’t have the time to go more than once or so a week, in my triathlon days 15 years ago I was doing 2400-3000 meters per session 3x a week at 1:40/100m. I’m 50 next year and going once a week I’m cranking out 2400-3200 meters a session at 1:45/100m. So my volume has been cut by 2/3rds and I’ve lost a whopping 5s off my 100, time. I can live with that.

Like keto, once you learn some of the science behind it, it makes way more sense than the old way of doing things.

My 2c.

(Heather Meyer) #4

Yah i ordered the body by science book…waiting for it to arrive.
Thanks!

(Cywgdave) #5

You’re welcome. Hope it’s something that helps.

I’m sure you won’t be surprised, he’s got a number of videos up on youtube as well. Although I do find interviews he has given to others often have better info.

The one at https://www.ihmc.us/stemtalk/episode-24/ is pretty good. The IMHC series itself is great, lots of the keto names are in various episodes.