Help Just Started

(Chris Holtmann) #1

I am not a cook so this might not work out. I live a lot on subway. I’m not doing this to lose weight although I could lose a few pounds. I’m just trying to help my body and brain. I’m hoping to have more energy. My third day was a rough day. I’m on day four. A friend of mine was telling me I was eating too much protein which I think is true (lots of baked chicken). Since I don’t cook, I just take care of me, what is something easy right now to get my fat intake up. I bought coconut oil. I’m going to eat more bacon and hamburgers. How many pieces of bacon is good at one sitting (concerned it will be hard on my digestive system since I like it crispy or should I go with less crispy. I have a problem that I am lactose intolerant. I can do some dairy like cheese before it starts to bother me. Are there snack bars I can buy online. I would like to do fat bombs, but I’m not a cook. Is there any way I can buy those?

Thanks

(Nancy ) #2

Subway will make any sub into a salad! Keto friendly!

(Laurie) #3

Aha! I was actually thinking of starting a thread for people who don’t cook (for whatever reason) or who want to spend less time in the kitchen.

For now:

Yes, Subway will make any sub into a salad instead. I like the meatball salad.

Other fast food places, as well as regular restaurants, will be happy to make a burger without a bun; a sandwich with no bread; bacon & eggs without toast or potatoes; breakfast wrap or bagel without the wrap/bagel; meat and veg without gravy or potatoes, etc.

Canned sardines come in many varieties (jalapeno, etc.). There is a sardine appreciation thread on this site.

Canned salmon, tuna, etc., are also handy. Squirt some mayo on top to increase your fat intake

Canned mackerel is cheap but very fishy tasting. Not bad if you add mayo and some kind of hot sauce though.

If you’re going to cook bacon, why not make eggs as well? OR buy precooked precrumbled bacon (my Costco in Canada has this).

Processed meat like pepperoni, salami, ham, etc. Read your labels to make sure it’s zero carb or close to zero; some prepared meats contain quite a lot of carbs. Try not to eat too much of this stuff–too much salt, chemicals, etc., and it’s just kind of “dead.”

Rotisserie chicken from the supermarket. Legs have plenty of fat, but you might want to add mayo to the breast.

Roasted soybeans (black soybeans have fewer carbs), also pecans, pine nuts, pumpkin seeds. Don’t overdo it as they contain some carbs.

Pork rinds (chicharrones) with or without a tasty low carb dip.

Costco has okay protein bars you can order online. Fine for snack or emergency, but they do have some carbs. Atkins has bars you can order online, but they use sugar alcohols and I wouldn’t touch them myself.

For online purchases, try googling the item. You might be surprised at who sells what, aside from the obvious outlets like Amazon. Usually the nutrition information is available online as well, which is helpful.

If I think of any more I’ll let you know. I’ll also consider starting a no-cook thread.