Help! I'm really discouraged

(Isabel Rodriguez) #7

Thank you so much.I needed to hear that today.You’re right this is about me and my journey to health.I guess I need to be patient and put in to work to see the change.Sometimes I just need a kind gentle reminder.

(Randy) #8

Welcome Isabel. Some good advice so far. I think it’s important to think of this as a long term strategy, and not a “magic pill”.
Your body has been using glucose for a long time, and it takes a while for it to learn to and run effectively on fat.

You’ve got this. :grin:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #9

Speaking of The Magic Pill, a phenomenal inspirational film on Netflix that you WILL LOVE. It totally convinced me that I was doing the right thing. Highly recommended viewing.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #10

Welcome Isabel. MCT oil is certainly not necessary - but, at the very least, start slowly with it. Forum members report GI issues with it, until their systems adjust. Also, be very careful with the potassium (see link below), I have never supplemented with it. I get my potassium from avocados, mushrooms, leafy greens, salmon. Concentrate on salt and water. Many do supplement with magnesium, however.

You will find keto very easy once you get going with it. And the forum members are extremely helpful - keep us posted on your progress, and ask any questions as they come up.

You will find this of interest regarding potassium and other electrolytes.

Again, welcome to the forums.

(Kristen Ann) #11

Welcome Isabel,

That’s what this forum is for. I’ve found so much support here, it’s amazing. I don’t expect the people in my life to understand this woe and rarely share my keto lifestyle.

For me the transition off of carbs caused an emotional reaction. I was overly emotional, frustrated, starving, burnout. However, this was very short lived and this woe got easy. You don’t sound weak. It gets easier, hang in there.

(Karen) #12

Your weight loss may be very slow. Vegetables are delicious and youll miss them. Fruit is delicious and you miss it. Bread crackers cookies are delicious and you’ll miss them. No matter what anyone says.

Pick a keto choice that’s delicious, and eat it. Don’t eat again until you are hungry, because it will taste really good if you were truly hungry. My go to is bacon and eggs.

You feel like you’re deprived AND you’re not losing weight. So it feels like a punishment at the moment. It will get better.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #13

Here is a helpful link I think you will enjoy reading.

(Jane) #14

Hang in there!

What are your goals? Are you pre-diabetic or diabetic? Have a lot of weight to lose or less than 20 lbs? Or just want to get over sugar/carb addiction to reduce inflammation, brain fog and have more energy?

(Isabel Rodriguez) #15

I want to get healthy.Im over weight and my joints kills me.Ive had childhood arthritis in my back since I was 10.The weight makes it worse.My self esteem is shot.And my energy level is too low for a 30 yr old single mom.

(Isabel Rodriguez) #16

Thanks so much.I will check it out tonight thats when I do my Keto studying.

(Karen) #17

I find reading keto studies, and books about Keto, and podcasts about keto to be motivating. However it is frustrating if you don’t feel like you’re getting results.
Listen to the keto dudes. They’re fun, funny and informative

(Empress of the Unexpected) #18

Weight loss is not linear - a few pounds either way, especially in the beginning, are nothing to worry about. Just keep carbs at 20 grams or under, and enjoy the food. And when you have time, give us a few daily menus so we can see exactly what you are eating. That really helps us to give targeted advice.

(dogboy) #19

Take a breath. It only seems hard because you are beginning.

Get some green veggies like broccoli and kale or cabbage. Napa might be the easiest to use, you literally slice it up and put it on hot food with salt and it will wilt quickly. Then douse it with olive or avocado oil. Eat it with your favorite proteins. You can ride that for a few days while you figure things out. Make sure you eat enough. The first thing you need to do is adapt. Then the weight will go.

If you hormones are messed up, the weight takes a bit longer, but you will still start to feel so much better that you will not believe you felt that bad before and didn’t realize it.

Get rid of your scale. It won’t help you until you don’t care anymore.

Just keto on.
David

(Julie ) #20

Welcome Isabel, one item I like is the fact you can recreate much of the items you once ate into keto friendly foods. I have this board and a few friends for support, but for the most part this has been me for me. Like the others stated this board will help you out a lot as there are people on it at every level, of keto.

(James) #21

Go full carnivore! It helped me with my aching joints and knees. Along with many other symptoms and weight loss stalls. Don’t let the numbers on the scale discourage you! There have been times when I’ve dropped body fat percentage, but also gained a couple lbs. I wish you the best on your journey!:heart_eyes:

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #22

Welcome!
I got discouraged, too. I wasn’t trying to lose weight, but was trying for high ketones for thereputic reasons. I had to watch my protein because I found it easy to over eat meat. Eating salads helped, especially with avacado and a good oil-vineger dressing (not balsamic, too carby for me).

Once I was comfortable with my eating I started fasting and that helped things. Waited until you are more comfortable then maybe try some fasting.

Good luck. You’ve got this!

(Donna Peterkin) #23

Yes! I have definitely been in less pain since I started. Has chronic pain in shoulders, arms and ankles (bartender) and would have to consume copious amounts of OTC pain meds, soak in hot tub every night and still no relief, but then, after starting keto, one day it just occurred to me…”Hey! My parts aren’t aching anymore! I thought I’d be stuck w/that pain forever! When did that happen!!!”. I guess it knocked out some inflammation cuz it’s not like I lost that much, but 10lbs is still 10lbs less I have to carry around.

If a diet is truly making you miserable, then it’s not the right diet for you. For permanent weight loss, a diet has to become a permanent way of eating. This forum is filled with folks who don’t feel deprived by severely limiting carbs. It works for them. But it’s not the only way. There are folks who successfully manage their weight by adhering to a low fat diet. There are folks who do it using a plant based diet. There are folks who do it using a fasting regime. There is no one right way. There’s not even a universal best way. The key to success in anything is figuring out what works for you.

Here’s what works for me. I’m on the LC end of the spectrum, but I eat a ton of vegetables because I think the evidence is compelling that they’re essential to maintaining optimal health. I am not trying to address any major medical conditions that require being extremely strict about my diet, so I don’t obsess about it. I eat all the foods I like, but not all the time. I don’t eat foods I don’t like. Fasting allows the dietary flexibility that I need for long term sustainability.

I always seek to do the least amount necessary to achieve the results that I want. In this case, the least amount of dietary restriction as possible that keeps my A1c < 5.2 and improves my HOMA IR.

(Amanda) #25

I agree x1000!! I watched a show and it said that in the short term it doesn’t really matter which eating protocol you follow, most will help you lose weight and improve some health issues. The best protocol is the one that you can stick with and be successful with long term!

I am sure that others might disagree, but this has given me motivation when I am ready to throw in the towel, or pick up the chips, as the case may be.

also, we’re all your support team :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: and i don’t think anyone here sucks.

something that helps me, is to re-watch pro-keto videos or go on instagram and look at everyone else’s success. none of them do it overnight, it takes months and years, and just like everything else on the gram, it may look like things come to other people effortlessly, but guaranteed there were tough days and nights for everyone. just like AA…it works if you work it. hang in there girl. (ps i saw in one of your other posts that your PMSing and for real, that is the hardest time to maintain resolve…i happen to be right there with you today and it sucks. it’ll be over soon!)