Help! How to get the most out of a roasted pig’s head

food

(David McCall) #1

Ok, so I’m not on here all that much, but I could really use some advice/input!

I was a a stag party for my boss’s future son-in-law on Friday evening. Hardly knew anyone there, but wanted to support the family and, well, didn’t want to run miss out on any of the potential of winning some of the prizes!

At any rate, during the course of the evening, a pig roast was carved up and served to everyone; keto, and very delicious!
But after all the prizes had been collected, I noticed that the head from the pig roast, which had been included in one of the prizes, had been left behind! So, not wanting it to just get thrown out in the trash, I asked my boss if I could possibly have it, and he said I could!
Now I have a roasted pig’s head sitting in my fridge and I haven’t a clue what to do with it!

I figure at the very least I can boil it down for stock for soup, but does anyone has any brilliant ideas or suggestions on how to get the most out of this part of the animal? I’d sure appreciate any advice you might have! Thanks!

(Erin Macfarland ) #2

Head cheese FTW! :stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue:

(Ken) #3

I second the Head Cheese! I like mine with a touch of Vinegar, so technically I think it’s called Souse.

(David McCall) #4

Thanks for the suggestion!
…now, what is ‘head cheese’? And how is it prepared?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

You’ll have to look up recipes, I believe there is one in The Joy of Cooking. Essentially, it’s a luncheon meat made from the edible parts of the head (including the brain), and molded in its own aspic. Also try searching the term on these forums; I believe there might have been a recipe in a thread we had a couple of years ago.

(Ken) #6

Whatever recipe you use, I suggest you don’t use either the skin or the brain in the final loaf. The skin makes it too chewy, just peel off the skin after cooking and roast it for pork rinds. The taste of pork brains is more of an acquired taste, I treat the dogs with it. Same with the eyeballs.