Help?! (how to control carb cravings)

(Katie) #21

When I started, I just began with the Atkins Diet…induction phase which was 5 grams of carbs a day. Well, back in the late 1990s that was the way it was, and I did it back then with success.

It kinda crashed me through the cravings by going cold turkey.

When I started this time, I was doing Atkins when I discovered Keto. After the first week, it switched to Keto…but I really think the week of no carbs cold turkey was the best way to kick this off.

Try it. No carbs. Then be very careful about adding carbs…easy to over do it and get. It benefit at all. Count carbs not calories. Make a lot of things in advance…like boiled eggs, egg cups, chicken and turkey, bacon. Grab one of those every time you crave something.

(Julia) #22

Meal planning works best for me. Knowing what food there is for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks means I’m not reaching for the wrong things.

So it has been a few weeks. How is it going?

(Keto life n' a little hippie ) #24

I am new to Keto but what worked for me so far in regards to sugar cravings is to have great food available that has no carb. The first three days I had cold chicken wings, cold bacon and great cheese in the fridge. When the cravings came I had a few wings with home made dressing/dip sauce, a few slices of bacon or cheese. One night I even had a little of all.

Not that I am really focused on calories but I’ve been keeping track just for fun. Even those days in the beginning I rarely passed 2500 cal a day. One day I closed in on 3000 cal. But I ate a lot, had 3 fatty coffees and the evening snack.

After those 3 first days cravings are much less intense. So much so that I don’t need to eat them away. I notice they are present and do something else for a few minutes and the cravings go away. And now I am between 2000 and 2500 cal day. Not really all that hungry every day, some days 2000 cal is all I can manage.

Next month when I start exercising and work out I guess that will affect the appetite.

(Susan) #25

Welcome to the forum @Faye2

I agree with all the forum members above that have suggested you eliminate all Carby foods from your house if possible.

Once you don’t have any of these around. it will be easier for you to resist binging on them =). I found herbal teas with nice flavours helped a lot in the beginning to taste like you were having a treat, but no calories, I have always drank them plain, but now was drinking a lot more of them, then say once in the evening before bed. I drink them after supper time now until bed, as my evening treats.

Try to start out eating 3 meals a day… a big, protein full breakfast, loaded with good fats:

such as 2-3 eggs, (scrambled, fried, in an omelette) top with grated cheese too
then cook up some bacon or sausages to have with that.
Cook it all in the bacon fat, or add extra virgin olive oil.

This will make you feel full and satiated until Lunch.

Try to have something like this for lunch:

Spinach in a bowl, with chopped up hard boiled egg, some bacon left from breakfast (broke up in little pieces), some grated cheese, or just pieces of, and avacodo mayo and some olive oil. If you want to add more protein, add a can of tuna or salmon=).

For supper: a nice juicy steak, or some fish, or some ham, pork, etc a nice serving of protein, cook it in your bacon grease, or extra virgin olive oil, and some broccoli (add some grated cheese on top, when it is hot, so it will melt)

Try drinking at least 64 ounces of water or more during the day, and tea/coffee when you want, and feel free to add Cream with no sugar (or an artificial sweetener if you want it sweet).

Past supper all I drink is my herbal teas, plain, or water.

You can do this! If you are eating enough calories, good healthy fats, enough proteins and under 20 grams of carbs… you will find your cravings will go away very quickly and you will go into Ketosis, and develop entirely new Keto cravings!

These are just sample menu ideas I typed, you can find tons and tons of ideas here on the forum and we have an entire Recipe section as well. We are all here to encourage you and give you ideas. You can do this! We were all struggling at the beginning too. so we know how you feel.