Help converting a recipe

food

(Candace) #1

I would like to make a cinnamon star bread for the holidays this year, and I am trying to figure out which flour would work best as a substituted. The recipe calls for a yeast dough, and I am not sure coconut flour or almond flour will rise. Does anyone know of any combination that would work?

Neither really rises. Although, of the the two, I would think coconut flour would rise a bit more, simply because it’s so absorbent that more eggs are required. And eggs do rise a bit (as evidenced by chaffles).

But you can add yeast. It would require some form of sugar for the yeast to feed on, but they shouldn’t leave much sugar for the final product.

Elana at Elana’s Pantry shares lots of recipes and information about healthier, avoidance-style baking (paleo, grain-free, some keto recipes, etc). She posts about working with different types of flours: https://elanaspantry.com/?s=flour

(Full Metal KETO AF) #4

Yeast doesn’t work without gluten to stretch as it lets off CO2 and hold air bubbles. All other flours must use baking powder or soda and are shortbreads. It’s the downfall of keto breads and why people are usually unsatisfied with the replacements available. They are always more cake like in texture. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #5

I gather @FishChris has had success with yeasted keto bread - scroll down this thread here Fluffy "risen" keto bread anybody? - I can’t find the other thread he’s done about yeasted bread though.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #6

@KetoSnaps It has vital wheat gluten.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #7

Funny, as you were typing this, I was preheating the oven for another loaf, and a couple buns for my weekend sandwiches :slightly_smiling_face:

What else did you want to know ?

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #8

Was thinking I’d just introduce you to @cansel as I wondered whether your flour would work for her cinnamon star bread. Those look amazing, btw! :+1:

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #9

I think it would. It definitely makes awesome cinnamon toast :slightly_smiling_face:

(Candace) #10

If it has vital wheat gluten in it, I cannot use it - but your loaf looks amazing! Someone in one of my Facebook groups has actually had success with a keto yeast bread that doesn’t use gluten. So I do have hope!

@FishChris - do you have a link to your recipe?

(Candace) #11

Thank you! I appreciate your response

(Candace) #12

Thank you all for your help!! Much appreciated :slight_smile:

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #13

(Candace) #14

Thanks