Help! 4 days into 'keto' diet and I don't think I'm in ketosis yet

I started following keto diet on Tuesday of this week and I don’t think I’m into ketosis yet. I have exercised every day (an hour each day) and seriously lowered my carb intake.

Carbs vs fat
Tuesday- 36g/81g
Wednesday- 27g/102g
Thursday- 42g/146g
Today- 37g/124g

I know I could do with lowering this carb intake further but I’ve found it really hard getting my head around what actually has carbs in it.

I’ve put on an inch around my waist which I’m panicking about because I’m a bridesmaid in 3 weeks!

I feel like giving up. Please help!

(eat more) #2

loose rule of thumb…anything that didn’t have eyes or come from something that had eyes is a carb (hopefully that doesn’t make anyone sad LOL)

as far as the inch around your waist…there are so many unknowns that could be contributing…
are you eating enough?
are you eating protein?
are you properly hydrated?
what kind of exercise are you doing?

keto is magical but it isn’t magic…4 days is just the beginning…
there is a LOT of information here and a lot of factors…it really isn’t “cut carbs, add fat, be skinny”
i wish it was :joy:

OK…first of all CONGRATS on the wedding!! :smiley: :ring::tada: Wonderful news!!

Now…stop the “panic” talk. You are going to be ok. First steps in any journey are typically a bit rocky, but they still lead you to the right way. You have to realize that you made the right move, and if you keep going, good things WILL happen. If you panic, you will only cause pain and suffering. Just stay alert, and think about what your next step of the journey should be and you WILL succeed.

Yes, your carbs are probably too high…I certainly cannot go over 20 grams total (I’ve discovered that the whole net carbs thing doesn’t really work for me).

Keep a food log of what you eat…don’t try to memorize what you ate and add things up in your head. Write it down. This is important in the first days of your journey. When you finally get the hang of it, then you can take the training wheels off and continue without logging.

Read the food labels and look up the nutritional values of food on internet. And log the food you eat BEFORE you eat it…don’t eat and then try to figure out what you ate. You need to learn how to eat, and then eat that…not the other way around.

Don’t panic about the inch around your waist just yet. This has happened to me before. When I exercise, I build muscle and I incur a bit of inflammation in the muscle (when muscles are sore/repairing from exercise, they will inflate a bit).

And, I’m giving you this extra piece of advice…I normally would not do this with someone who just started the keto journey, but I see you are up a tight deadline with the wedding. One way to jack up the fat burning is by intermittent fasting. You are new on this journey, so if you skip one meal (doesn’t matter which one) then you really advance your fat burning. When I started intermittent fasting, I started with skipping dinner, and I just ate breakfast and lunch. I then changed it to skipping breakfast. find what works for you.

Also…NO SNACKING. Just eat your meals, keep total 20 g carb for the day, eat about 1 gram protein per kg lean body mass, and eat fat to satiety. No snacks…they will interfere with your mission to fat burn in this very tight window of three weeks to your wedding.

Also, make sure you are getting enough electrolytes. Your body will retain water (and cause bloating) if you don’t have the right electrolyte balance. Add sea salt to food, drink mineral water rich in electrolytes, and here’s homemade recipe for ketoaide:

Hope this helps. I hope you stay in touch with your progress. Let us know how you are doing.

(Dustin Cade) #4

my motto is to keep it simple… remove as many carbs as humanly possible, eat meat, eggs, cheese, drink water and coffee, remember fat is your best friend… butter, coconut oil, lard, olive oil, avocado oil!!! if you are missing the snack type stuff, get pork rinds!!!

you’ll do just fine! KCKO!!!

Thank you so so so much for this reply. You have made me feel a little more motivated again. You’ve given me so much useful information here. Thank you a million times over.