Help. 3 weeks of Keto and I’m tired, hungry and clumsy

(Sarah) #21

I am going to try. My brain is still having a hard time registering “fat is good”. I am making great fat choices though, sticking to coconut and olive oil and Mediterranean fats like olives, feta. Also lots of avocado. I always ate somewhat ‘healthy’ so this whole lifestyle is turning so much I thought I knew upside down. But, it makes sense to me and I am enjoying all of the flavor and taste in my food that was previously absent. I pull out the special plates when I eat-because it’s a special, well thought meal every time! :trophy:

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #22

I know, we’ve all been brainwashed for a long time and it takes a mental shift to accept that it is true. But give it a chance. A few weeks of high fat isn’t enough to do the damage conventional wisdom says is sure to occur, but it is long enough to prove conventional wisdom wrong.

Every cell in your body is made of fat and protein. Not sugar. Sugar is a fuel that some of your cells need, but your body is perfectly capable of making all it needs. Your brain and your heart actually run more efficiently on ketones than on glucose.

And I love that you use the special plates. Life is a special thing.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #23

That’s a common problem. Do you like bacon? If so, start making and eating it, and cooking with the bacon fat. That might help get you over the hump, so to speak.

Fat is not a magical weight-loss element, however. We recommend it because it has a minimal effect on insulin secretion, and it’s energy-dense (9 cal/g), so it makes a good source of calories for replacing those lost from cutting out carbohydrate. As long as you keep your carbohydrate low (we recommend no more than 20 g/day), you can safely eat to satiety, and your appetite hormones will set your appetite so that you can metabolize both your dietary fat and your excess stored fat.

It is carbohydrate that gets turned into fat and stored in our fat tissue; the fat we eat is used to fuel the body. It is very hard to overeat fat, since most people become nauseated if they eat too much (not only that, but too much extra fat can be excreted, with unpleasant effects, lol!). And as mentioned, there is an instinct for how much protein to eat, so as long as you are low-carb, you can trust your body to tell you how much food it needs. This might seem a lot at first, but as your insulin level goes down, your brain will start registering the leptin secreted by your fat cells again, and you won’t be nearly as hungry.

(Cindy) #24

Be careful with avocado. Yes, it’s a healthy fat, but it’s also a fruit, which means it has carbs. If you’re counting net carbs, that helps because of the fiber. But Dr. Westman’s page 4 guidelines limit avocado to 1/2/day because they do have carbs.

(Christine Flack) #25

i am having a really hard time accepting that fats are good too. i always knew carbs are not good for you but thought healthy eating lean protein and veggies was ideal for health.

(Little Miss Scare-All) #26

My workouts hella suffered the first 2 weeks. After that, theyve gotten better. I was struggling to throw up 45lbs on squats, and thats a little sad for me. I normally would dk like 30min on the stairs without needing a break, but every 5 min I literally had to take a 1min pause n go back at it. It was hard, so I decided to take it easy on myself until my body better adapted itself.

Day 24 today, and my workouts have gotten a lot better. In some ways even better than before. My cardio endurance is longer and more energetic. My HIITs are even more bursty and sustainable.

Itll get better, homie. Listen to your body and tweak if need be. As women, ketosis puta us through a lot of hormonal shenanigans before we start feeling better than before.

Hang in there, Christine! It won’t always be so weird.
I felt the same too. :slight_smile:

It’s ok, you never have to eat another dry chicken breast again. Buy that 80/20 ground beef. Buy that pork belly.

(Consensus is Politics) #29

The best method, IMHO, is going cold turkey. Sure, the first few days is a little tough. But it’s easy to get over the hump. When sugar cravings get bad, have a slice of bacon. Put a pinch of salt under your tongue. Think of it like distracting a 2 year old that is throwing a fit in the grocery cart.

When I started keto a little over a year ago, I went zero carb to expedite the process. This also helps your body to burn of its glycogen reservoir. In my case, it was a good sized percentage of total body weight. I lost 40 pounds in 14 days. Thats 18 %. 245 pounds down to 205 pounds. And I was eating upwards of 3,000 calories a day to keep my body happy.

To help my psyche (sp?) sane with zero carbs, I keep it at the forefront of my mind, that whenever I saw anything CARBY, I thought of it as POISON :skull_and_crossbones:. That has also had thr side effect that I feel very guilty letting my stepdaughters kids eat high carb meals or snacks when they come over.

Keto Vitae!

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #30

I refer to the billions of bread shops where I live as Poison Shops when in the company of people who understand my way of eating and that this is not meant as a judgement of them. They are all the same and sell bread and pastries that are extremely easy to resist as a westerner. But I used to eat them because they are cheap and quick and fill your belly without too high a risk of weird unfamiliar meats. I’m just glad I don’t live in France where a patisserie would be an actual temptation. On the other hand, French charcuteries… :cloud:9

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #31

Don’t start! I love cold turkey. I love warm turkey. I love turkey gravy. I love . . . :grin:

(PSackmann) #32

Crispy turkey skin!

(Consensus is Politics) #33

A Turkey junkey? Watch out for those Bumpusess’ hounds. I hear the have like 785 smelly hound dogs :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: