Hello I am 39 years old and am Pre Diabetic. Hello that is all lol.
Hello I am pre Diabetc and am new to this forum. Greetings
Hi, Alban,
I was PreDiabetic so long ago, I don’t really remember. I’ll say the 1990s. I went low carb (Zone diet) and just kept cutting carbs until fully keto 11 years ago.
Stick with it. It can be hard to get used to it, to the level where it’s automatic, but it works.
Bob
You are at the right place. Many, many people have reversed their diabetes(and pre-diabetes) with keto. Don’t let your Dr tell you you cannot reverse it. Unfortunately, Drs are only trained to watch blood sugar levels, and when they start to rise you get a diagnosis, but the insulin resistance started rising some years before, and if they tested fasted insulin, it would serve patients better. That is my main advice to you. Start tracking your fasted insulin at least once per year, and get that down below 5. Be glad you are starting now, and not later. If you haven’t already, you will probably experience better energy levels in the afternoon, etc.
If you go keto, the one think that typically drops like a rock is HbA1c. Not always, but usually.
Welcome! You can reverse it before it progresses to full blown diabetes. Just have to be willing to give up the comfort foods for a while - potatoes, bread, sweets. I am 8 years into keto and never added back sweets except on rare occasions (don’t miss them) but I do have potatoes from my garden and homemade bread I bake myself. Not on a regular basis - as a treat.
My dinners consist mostly of meat and non-starchy veggies. Except when my garden is producing and then I make a few exceptions. I don’t worry about eating vegetables I grow myself with no chemicals and as fresh as possible.
I wsa trending up years ago. Went mostly keto/carnivore and I noticed an initial drop from the 120s to now hovering around 105-ish. Despite cutting out almost every single carb, I cannot get it below 100. That concerned me and my physician until I did a bunch of AI research and learned about adaptations, guconeogenesis, and glucose sparing. Your liver produces the necessary glucose based on your muscle needs and if you are a lifter, or train a lot during the week it adapts by producing moderate levels of glucose. So what I’m saying is ignore the blood test red flag if it still shows pre-diabetes after weeks on a keto diet. Your body is smartly adapting and regulating your glucose levels - and those levels are generally higher in the morning anyway when you get up - which is when people take their blood tests. Glucose sparing is just another amazing adaptation to make sure your body has what it needs to perform at a higher level. Its almost as if the body was never intended for much external carb consumptions. (wink wink) Keep us posted but know that your body will be adapting and your physicians may not understand at first what the test results mean until you put everything in context. PS - do not skimp on fats. You must ingest enough fats for energy. Keto on a low fat diet is a recipe for disaster. EAT MORE FATS