Hello from a Newbie

Would it possibly be that cutting carbs, (and the resulting induced succesful weight loss in yourself), therefore resulted in the physical ‘real estate’ reduction in stored fat terms (I’m thinking visceral and connective tissue as opposed to adipose), which may have been putting excessive pressure on your bladder from mesentric regions…effectively reducing bladder capacity and increased urination?

Lying at rest (prone position) at night may also change the physical pressures exerted on internal organs, but also physiological and biologcial rythms vary from waking and sleeping states.

IDK- I’m just musing/pondering.
I can remember (not that long ago either!), that I had to hold my breath to bend down to tie my shoe laces, when I was heavier.
It was like my thoracic cavity had no space for lungs!
Respiration was laboured at that stooped over bending angle due to physical thoracic capacity.
Maybe the same for bladder capacity in obesity state?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #42

It’s certainly possible, but militating against that idea is the fact that if I overeat carbohydrate, my bladder capacity that night is much less than my new keto normal. I don’t think I’m gaining enough fat in six or eight hours to press on my bladder like that.

Add to that the fact that my low bladder capacity has been a fact of my life from childhood, when I was skinny. That’s why, on keto, my enlarged bladder capacity is so astonishing. I slept through the night for the first time in about sixty years (gosh, am I really that old?), after being on keto for about a year.

(Denise) #43

We were taught a lot of “wrong” things when we were little, and I’m definitely not saying on purpose. Passed down through generations becoming the Standard American Diet. It’s now killing people to eat that way, or the “too many meds” that are coming through our doctors from Big Pharma. I’m not saying we don’t need conventional medicine either, but I am always spouting about how we need to get in charge of our own health, do our home-work and not just believe blindly that the doctor is always right about “our bodies”.

Lots of good read under topics about how long some doctors, and one of my fave Dr. Benjamin Bikman, among many others to atleast listen to their info which includes proof that some things we were taught were not ok like too many carbs, and “Fat is the Enemy”.

(David ) #44

Thank you i will

David

I’m sat here reading this like “ellifino what you just said, but I sure know my belly stopped me from getting my knee up to my chin during yoga… that must have put some pressure on my bladder” :joy:

(David ) #46

The one thing i have noticed is a massive reduction in pain, I have for many years suffered with fibromyalgia and many other painful conditions I’ve had both my knees replaced and now I am relatively pain-free

about six weeks ago before I started keto I could hardly close my hands due to ligament and joint pain I hope it is one of the side effects of reducing the pain because I’ve never felt more pain-free.

David

That’s brilliant news. One of my older sisters has fibro and really suffers. She tried keto, but didn’t stick with it and I personally don’t think she gave it long enough to see any results. But that’s her call, ofc.

Your written English is very good my friend.

:smiley:

You should never eat bread again, unless in a life or death situation, when there is nothing else.

I have accepted this for myself. (OKay, wee bit of ‘ketobread’)

Quit all high concentration carb foods. Say bye bye to medication.

:hugs::sweat_smile::rofl:

(David ) #51

The slice of bread I had eliminated my headache; at this moment, I still do not have a headache, but that is all I have had. Carbohydrate Wise today, my daughter makes my meals for me because I have a visual impairment, and she is frightened I may burn the house down.

Unfortunately, due to my multiple medical conditions, I think it will be challenging to stop the medication as I suffer from labile hypertension and familial hypercholesterolemia, and I have a neurological condition where I have to take medication to stop me from having myoclonic jerks in my sleep.

David

These myoclonic jerks are part of a neurological condition I have, cerebellar atrophy, so eventually, I’m going to become unsteady on my feet, hence the reason for losing weight. I don’t want to fall with 19 stones tumbling to the ground.

(Bob M) #52

Statins for familial hypercholesterolemia?

(David ) #53

No, Statins caused me severe pain and never lowered my Cholesterol, so I now take a PCKS9 Injection every two weeks; only been on it for about five months, but all my numbers are now perfectly normal and, best of all, absolutely zero side effects

David

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #54

Hypertension is generally helped quite a bit by a ketogenic diet. (Mine went from around 140/110 to 112/70.) If you start feeling light-headed and dizzy, you should probably cut back on the blood pressure medication.

Familial hypercholesterolaemia in itself is not dangerous. The half of people with it who develop cardiovascular disease are the ones with clotting abnormalities, such as genetic variants of fibrinogen and clotting factor VIII, that make the blood more likely to clot. This was shown in the 1960’s. And a low-carbohydrate diet, by lowering the amount of glycation of your haemoglobin, also helps by reducing the likelihood of blood clotting. In any case, your level of cholesterol is not the problem; the problem lies elsewhere.

I have no clinical trial proof.

But I know what my recent bloods indicate./health wise.
I know my daily blood pressure.

I know what to do, and not what to.

Do you…?

Haha, Lasix will do it alright, when I’m getting wattery, 120mg will… do the trick! Loop diuretics are a whole different beast! On the high BP, did you list your stats? I didn’t see them, height, weight, BF% if you know it? Do you get exercise in?

(David ) #57

Hi, it is an horrendous medication. I do believe they give it to racehorses too, so you can say it is the medication of champions, at least racehorses.

I’m sorry that I do know Where to enter stats about the look on my profile. There doesn’t seem to be anywhere to enter them

David

Jeebus.

I can’t explain things, certain things, Like all of us, just thoughts , theories and occasianally hypotehsiss with repetive research results.

(Bob M) #59

It took me a while to find this – I had no idea in which thread this was. Limiting search terms and dates helped.

The problem I have for something like FH (and even Lp(a)), is that when all you have is a hammer, you think everything is a nail. All they have is lowering LDL, either via statins or the new PCSK9 inhibitors. While statins lower LDL, there are some good arguments that this is meaningless, as pleiotropic effects are more likely to cause any purported benefit. For instance, if you look at LDL decreases, some people will have larger LDL decreases, but no benefit relative to someone with less of a decrease.

And the PCSK9 inhibitors don’t have a great track record, if what you care about is death. The last time I looked, the trials showed higher overall death rates with the PCSK9 inhibitor group. See the discussion here, for instance:

But because they have a drug that – to them – reduces the “cause” of heart disease in people with LDL, they never look at anything else.

Now, it could be that the PCSK9i are also working because of pleiotropic effects:

The whole section is interesting.

But the issue is that no one is looking at drugs that actually work on whatever the good pleiotropic effects are, because they have a hammer that pounds down LDL.

For me, as someone who has extremely high Lp(a), this is important. (Note how one of the “bad guys” in the paragraph above is…Lp(a).) Lp(a) in particular has coagulation properties, which really could be bad. But no one is trying to give people anti-coagulation drugs, and instead are trying to find something to lower Lp(a).

The problem with this is that LDL and Lp(a) are there for some reason, probably many reasons, including acting as part of the immune system. If you hammer them down indiscriminately, you’re likely affecting something else. That something else, like an immune system, could be detrimentally affected, and probably is, which is why both statins and PCSK9i rarely have a benefit when overall death is examined.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #60

Exactly.

To play with Dr. Phinney’s fire engine analogy, let’s say that a large percentage of the fires in some community are caused by arson. We notice, however, that every fire is accompanied by the presence of fire engines and firefighters. It would seem natural, then, that we could control the number of fires by selling off fire engines and reducing the number of firefighters on our payroll. However, this is managing the marker of the problem, not dealing with the actual problem.

The real solution, of course, is to go after the arsonists. Unfortunately, in terms of our analogy, we have convinced ourselves that the firefighters and the fire engines are what cause the fires, and we can’t let go of that wrong notion, and thus we leave the arsonists to get off scot-free.