Hello from a girl and her corgi

(Stephanie Tebbs) #1

Hello! I’ve been doing keto for 4 weeks and thought I’d post a little about myself and also ask for advice on a problem I’m having.

My name is Stephanie and I’m 27 years old, 5’7 and about 170lbs currently. I’ve never been extremely overweight. Most of my life I floated around 150-160lbs. A bit of extra fat around my stomach but I did enough fad diets and calorie counting to keep it from getting out of hand. My entire family is overweight and we have a history of diabetes and cancer. Most of my family history passed away from cancer in their early 70s. Cancer and diabetes are a huge concern for me and that’s why I found keto.

About 3 years ago I was in the best shape of my life. I lifted using the Stronlifts program 3x/week, hiked every weekend and walked everywhere. Then life hit and I got extremely busy and lazy. Eating habits spiraled out of control and my exercise stopped. I started to feel worse and lacked energy constantly. 2 years ago I got engaged and despite all my desires to lose weight for our wedding, I never picked up steam. I felt crappy, had no energy and gave into my cravings constantly. A year ago we bought a house and got our corgi, Zwei. I got her with the hopes of having a hiking buddy but she wasn’t enough motivation for me to get back on the trails.

I got married in March of this year and then we went on our honeymoon and continued to eat out of control. After the honeymoon I stumbled across Intermittent Fasting and the effects it had in cancer and insulin resistance. That’s exactly what I wanted and it sounded so easy. So I’ve followed IF since April with very little “off” days. The weight slowly raised regardless. I hit my highest weight of 180lbs.

In the beginning of August I heard the term “keto” and started to do research and found 2 Keto Dudes. It sounded like a better option than IF alone. More energy, resist Diabetes, maybe help against cancer and maybe some weight loss on top. Weight loss wasn’t the primary goal but an added bonus.

I started keto on August 14th and I’ve lost 10 pounds so far. I have a lot more energy and have started working out again. Today I did something I’ve wanted to do forever, I took my dog hiking. We did a short 3 mile hike and I felt amazing. I wanted to go longer but she started dragging.

My problem is with constapation. I’m pooping once every 2-3 days but it’s forced. If feels like I need to poop but I have lots of trouble. I’m drinking over a gallon of water, plenty of electrolytes (5g+ sodium, 1.5g+ potassium and 500g magnesium citrate pill). I’m eating an average of 80g of protein and 15g of net carbs at most. I usually have anywhere from 4g-8g of fiber. Not sure if I need to up my fiber, I’ve seen mixed reviews on the use of fiber with Keto. Any advice?

(John Somsky aka KetoGrinder) #2

Welcome to the forums! It sounds like you are doing great so far. Once I became fat adapted fiber wasn’t an issue for me. Make sure you are getting enough fat, it’s one of the most common mistakes when starting Keto. It may take several weeks for your body to completely adjust to Keto. In the meantime you can use chia seeds or psyllium husk to add fiber to see if that helps.

Congratulations on making a hopefully life improving change and good luck on your journey.

(Khara) #3

Happy to hear of your successes so far with Keto. I enjoyed reading your post - until the last paragraph. Unfortunately I’m not sure I can help much as that particular part was actually worse for me pre-Keto. The previous response mentioned fat intake and I was wondering about that as well. You didn’t list it so I’m curious if you’re getting enough.
Also, I’ve read several posts regarding constipation lately. The topic perplexes me because like I said I’ve personally experienced a huge improvement in this area since going Keto. I have noticed a common thread among many sufferers… it seems they all take a lot of supplements. Maybe they are absolutely necessary, I don’t know, but I do wonder if maybe the supplements, whether one or a combination or just shear quantity, could be part of the problem. My own anecdotal experience…I’m not supplementing and I’m not constipated. Pre Keto I discovered the hard way, and 3 times, that a zinc supplement constipated me to an extreme point. It took me 3 times to realize it was the only common denominator. I’m curious, did you discover a need for your various supplements (for example, you were getting cramps) and so then you started them or did you start them automatically upon starting Keto?
Super cute puppy by the way. Glad she’s getting to go hiking again.

(Mike W.) #4

Pooping every 2-4 days I consider “normal”
on Keto. I find I’m not eating the filler like before. Fat and protein doesn’t have much waste. Unless it puts you in pain, I wouldn’t worry about the timing. Also upping sodium could help with constipation.

Do you drink coffee? If not, perhaps give that a try in the morning?

(Stephanie Tebbs) #6

I don’t drink coffee usually. I have two cups of tea most mornings. I’ll give coffee a try. Thank you.

(Stephanie Tebbs) #7

I’m getting about 130-160g of fat a day. Some days are lower as my appetite has decreased but I try to get more.

Also, I get cramps often even before keto and my response was to eat a banana. I took the supplements to avoid the cramps and I heard magnesium helps with constapation. I am willing to try removing that for awhile to see if it helps.

(Brian) #8

I have heard that salt can help, too.

It’s something we’ve had beat into us by most around us for decades, to avoid the salt, cut down on the salt, eliminate the evil salt. But… on the keto diet, we NEED salt. I find that I feel better when I use the salt freely, and I believe I’ve read somewhere that being short on salt can contribute to more difficulties in the “problem”.

Good luck! It does sometimes take some time to work this stuff out. Keto is a big change to a body that’s used to running on glucose.

(Khara) #9

Ya, I’ve always had a tendency towards calf cramps as well and used to eat bananas after exercise. I was happy to learn after going Keto that avocados actually have more potassium. I’ve really been trying to figure out how to get what I need from food. I’m open to supplements but am still trying without. I’ve been on and off Keto for two years and haven’t used them yet. Longest stint was about 9 months. I’m still learning and hoping/planning to get to where I know how to incorporate enough food variety on regular intervals to get what I need. Good luck.

(Linda Culbreth) #10

Welcome!

(shawn) #11

If you’re getting cramps, increase salt and magnesium. Salt actually helps regulate potassium . And if bananas used to work for you, try avocados. They have double the potassium of bananas, healthy fat, and fiber. I like them with salt and a little lime juice sprinkled on. Or wrapped in bacon. :wink:

(Carpe salata!) #12

Or all of the above … that one goes in the recipe file for later :wink:

You had me at corgi! welcome!

(betsy.rome) #14

Welcome! Cute corgi - I miss mine, hope to get another soon. For a short-legged corgi, a 3 mile walk is not a short hike. Start with 1/2 mile to 1 mile, get your pooch used it it first. Corgis are not long-distance dogs, they prefer running in fits of energy. Our Rascal used to happily walk for a mile or so, then plop down on the trail, and we’d carry him the rest of the way.

(Stephanie Tebbs) #15

Thank you!

(Stephanie Tebbs) #16

I’ll keep that in mind. Thanks!

Love love love your dog!

(Linda Culbreth) #18

Love yourself and eat those avocados. Love your precious corgi and don’t share the avocados - they are poison to pooches. (So is chocolate and grapes.)

(Sarah) #19

I’m new to this forum and I’ve had the same issues that you’re experiencing. I have hypothyroidism and it’s so difficult for me to use the red room. When I first started keto I did the coffee with next oils and it helped me to use the bathroom every other day the first week and it was still difficult but after week one I had an explosive experience and have been going daily every day there after. My dad exotic had to clean me out and boy did it. I have more energy than I e had in a very long time. I’m not coming home collapsing after a long day. I feel like cleaning and cooking and living. Hope this is helpful

(Sarah) #20

Mct oils. Sorry for the typo