science
heartrate
testing

(Troy) #1

Just an interesting article to use or think about
MHR, HR Zones for training…

Enjoy🙂

(charlie3) #2

I do a significant amount of brisk walking and moderate intensiity SS cardio on an early style Airdyne (strength training too). On the airdyne I’m usually wearing a heart rate monitor and compare perceived effort with HR. I wish I had more sophisticated analytical measures but may be it doesn’t matter. The article raised some good principles but stopped short of offering practical takeaways.

(Windmill Tilter) #3

Great article. Most people have no idea where their heart rate zones should be. Without knowing that, it’s impossible to do HIIT or tabata optimally. Likewise, if you’re interested in doing steady state cardio to spend time in the “fat burning zone”, it kind of makes sense to know where it is. If you’re going to invest substantial time, money, and sweat into exercise, I guess it kind of makes sense to figure this stuff out.

The only way I know of to get all of the things is a VO2 max test. It’s a $150, which isn’t cheap, but if you’re investing over 100 hours per year into exercise, I guess it might make sense.

(Allan Misner) #4

I agree with the author on this one. HRM, VO2 Max, heart rate variability are all great tools to eek out an ounce or two of performance, which can be the difference in winning at the elite level. It could be useful for an amateur athlete who is a few minutes short of qualifying for the Boston Marathon. But for most of us, it is just an expensive and time consuming hobby of data collection.

I focus my personal training on people over the age of 40, so I might have a skewed approach. I like the KISS approach to fitness. Do what you love or the things that make you better at the things you love.

(Troy) #5

Thanks Coach Allan!

Yeah. The data side of this
Is just that sometimes - for me, just geeky fun and motivation :smile: