Heart rate is crazy high

(Rebecca Vaughan) #74

Naomi do you have ME/CFS? if you do and you are very inactive (which sounds like you are not) 56 might be a bit low, as its unusual to have a very good/low HR when you are very inactive. Because it sounds like you are pretty active your resting hr sounds fine. Average is 60 -100 so there’s a huge scope. and essentially low HR is a good thing.

(William Moore) #76

Great to see improvement. Did you try exogenous ketones? I’m very confident they will help. Try keto os, non caffeinated. I’d also say to ignore that high fats are not recommended with your condition. Those studies are towards glucose burners. You are a fat burner. The more fat you take, the more fat you burn. Thus more ketones. Thus less inflammation and more healing/faster recovery. Improvement is all you should be looking for it and it really looks like you’re achieving it. Go you! Keep it 75/25/5 with a 16 hour fast & 8 hour eating window. Our bodies do amazing these when they aren’t inflamed. MCT oil and coconut oil highly recommended but be very easy on the doses. Maybe half a teaspoon of MCT at most and one teaspoon of coconut. Really curious to see how it’s been the last month

(Lonnie Hedley) #77

Keto OS?

(Rebecca Vaughan) #78

thanks William, I didn’t try exogenous ketones but all the electrolyte imbalance symptoms have finally subsided. I’m noticing improvement after a fast but the fatigue returns after a day or so (day after a fast is usually pretty good), I’m having trouble with pure oils giving me really bad reflux, like to the point it feels like a heart attack, so i’m slowly getting my head around what fats agree with me and what don’t, basically animal fats, olive oil and cheese seem ok, but MCT oil, coconut oil and too much cacao butter are not so good. I do feel like keto is showing me subtle improvements, I’m having to rest/sleep for 2 hours in the afternoon but it’s giving me the ability to focus on my goals much more, and I have more concentrated energy in the mornings now so I’ve been able to add a 5 minute walk to my day and also do some supine exercises for core and upper back strength. I still can’t really leave the house without crashing though, but hopefully in time that will come.

(Bunny) #79

Have you tried drinking mineral water rather than regular filtered water?

Mineral Supplements Help with CFS

(Bunny) #80

Carnosine might help with the reflux besides other dietary tweeks! I am going to try this!

(Jamie Holtzclaw) #81

I’m currently doing keto, I’ve been in ketosis for 2.5 weeks. I have SVT, and I have noticed my resting HR is 66, standing 85, walking 109-115. I had an STV Attack yesterday 160BPM, I quickly put my head between my knees and stopped it. I’ve realized that my addiction to water has caused me to deplete my electrolytes. So I’ve cut back on water, increased salt, 2500mg of potassium and 400mg of magnesium. This is helping but I’m not sure how much of my Celtic salt I should be taking. My BP is low/normal sitting and really low standing. Just wondering if you had any advice. Are you still doing keto, and have your symptoms subsided? I just purchased some of this. https://shop.drberg.com/electrolyte-powder-regular#prettyPhoto

(Rebecca Vaughan) #82

Hi Jamie, I am currently not in ketosis but i am still low carb (around 50g a day) my symptoms cleared up after two months and then I was keto for another 2-3 months, I made sure I had at least 800mg of potassium, 2500mg sodium and 800mg of magnesium a day, and I still do that. Making sure I kept my electrolytes balance helped. I came out of ketosis due to the amount of fat I was eating was giving me really nasty reflux (i can’t seem to win) and now I’m following a slightly less restricted low carb diet, and i’m not piling on the extra fat, so it seems to be working well for me. I probably enter ketosis every so often but am not too worried about it for now. Hope that helps.

(Steve) #83

If you have a glass of water with a couple teaspoons (or a tablespoon) of Apple Cider Vinegar before each meal, it’ll help digestion and help with acid reflux as well. (I usually do a tablespoon and add a teaspoon each of lemon and lime juice - makes it taste better, and it’s just additional acid, so should only help).

(Jamie Holtzclaw) #84

Yes this helps, thank you for taking time to answer my question and concern. I’m wishing you the very best of luck and hope your condition only gets better from here.

(Rebecca Vaughan) #85

thanks steve, ACV helps a little but i’m also having problems with the high fats causing asthma and histamine issues so ive had to reduce them.

(Steve) #86

Sorry to hear that! I’m not sure that you have to eat a lot of fat to stay in ketosis - just that your carbs must be below 20g/day to keep yourself there (so it’s not a viable energy source for your body to switch back).
If you’re not ingesting enough fat, it’ll draw from your fat stores, but if you don’t have a lot to spare, you don’t want to get too thin. :slight_smile:
Sounds like you need to get your asthma under control first before you can consider getting yourself back into ketosis.

Also, the asthma, why on earth woudl the stress give me asthma, somoene someone somewhere said keto creates some kind of temporary oxygen-deficient state, why is this? What is the mechanism of this and can that give me asthma or is it something else?

@xebex1978 I have often experienced similar symptoms, especially while starting keto. The first time, I felt like I could not breathe and my heart felt as if it were palpitating. I took a break without eating refined carbohydrates, and when I was ready to start again, I did not have the same issues. I’ve started and stopped since, and, also sticking to a slightly less restricted lower carb diet, it’s easy now to get into ketosis within a day.

You brought up stress in your earlier post. PVFM is often misdiagnosed as asthma. It is possible to have both, but even pulmonologists misdiagnose which sucks because the treatment for asthma does not work for vocal chord dysfunction. PVCM is more prevalent in women aged 10-40, those with reports of perfectionism, OCD, and anxiety disorders, associated with tightness in the neck or upper chest, difficulty inhaling rather than exhaling, and often brought on by stress.

If you think you may be experiencing this, you can try to see an ENT to get scoped. One sign that you could be experiencing PVFM is if your symptoms do not respond to an inhaler. A diagnosis in the US usually gets you in with a speech pathologist. They work on speech therapy exercises that you can do to quickly open your airway, like sniffing really hard. Breathing in through a straw or pretending you have a straw also can be helpful.

(Rebecca Vaughan) #88

thanks, Steve, unfortunately, I’m only 115 pounds, lost 10 pounds on the diet which is all I can afford to lose, so i cant really rely on fat reserves. I went off keto and the asthma lessened, I actually went back in this week and its come back, very frustrating. I read this article about how fat is a histamine releasor, i guess i don’t have enough DAO to sort out the amounts of histamine I’m taking on, i’m not prepared to cut all the high histamine foods when i can just cut the fat and eat low carb rather than eat keto.
http://alisonvickery.com.au/which-fat-is-low-histamine/

(Steve) #89

Yeah - I thought you looked quite thin from your profile pic. :slight_smile:

Sorry to hear it’s being so damn complicated. I guess you’ll just need to find the balance that works for your body. Here’s hoping it’s not too difficult to nail down!

(Rebecca Vaughan) #90

thanks steve :slight_smile:

(Lisa Stevens) #91

I had that problem when I first started and just found the answer recently. What happens is your body starts putting out more cortisol to make up for the decrease in sugar. My blood pressure rose as well. I really didn’t track how long it took to go away but I’m fine now.

(Stephanie Manino) #92

I know this is a old post but my heart rate has been out of control the last couple of days. Last night watching a movie It was 104 BPM the more I watched it the anxious I got. I literally threw myself into a panic Attack.

Trying to read up on all of this. I’m 7 days in and my HR has been sky rocketing for the last 2 days.

(Rebecca Vaughan) #93

Hi Stephanie,

It took 2 months for my high HR too go back down. It’s due to electrolyte imbalace and your body not being used to its new state, from what i’ve read this useually only last a few days to a couple of weeks for most people. What helped me was keeping my electrolytes balanced, 2 litres of water a day, with 800mg potassium citrate powder, 600mg magnesium malate, 5000mg sodium.

Rebecca

(Edith) #94

I agree with Rebecca. Make sure you are getting enough electrolytes, especially sodium. If your sodium is low, your blood volume decreases and then your heart has to work harder to get the blood to all the parts of your body.

Good luck,
Edith